Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Is anyone growing 'Comtesse de Chambord' beans?

These used to be grown a lot in eastern Canada and maybe still are, does anyone know a source for these beans, they don't seem to be commercially available.

Annette

Comments (19)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

This is an heirloom variety. Look for them where they sell heirloom varieties. You might want to post this question in the heirloom forum--you might find a source there

• bev_w
    14 years ago

Wow, this bean variety might be a goner. The only reference I found was from a U.K. blogger who says she got the seeds from Kokopelli, the France-based heritage seed exchange.

http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.com/2008/05/more-french-beans-than-you-can-shake.html

Just out of curiosity I checked every single heritage seed house in Canada, and several in the U.S. Nothing.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was given one lead, the link below but it's in France and I'd imagine the shipping would be pricey. I was hoping someone in Quebec is still growing it. I've bought a variety called 'Little White Rice' which might be similar to 'Comtesse de Chambord' both are referred to as rice beans but both are Phaseolus vulgaris.
    It sure does look like this bean is heading towards extinction, apparently shelling this bean is not an easy job and it takes a little extra care when growing it. Keeping my fingers crossed someone here will have these beans and be willing to spare a few in a trade or for a sase.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Comtesse de Chambord Source

• bev_w
    14 years ago

If you join Kokopelli (it's like a European version of Seeds of Diversity or Seed Savers Exchange) you may be able to get some from the same grower as the U.K. blogger I referenced. Worth a try.

http://www.kokopelli-seeds.com/

Bev

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bev, I was given Kokopelli as another possible source but was also told they weren't offering CdC at this time. The search goes on :).

Annette

Original Author
    14 years ago

Found them :). I knew there had to be someone still growing them, a trade is in the works.
    Annette

Original Author
    14 years ago

Oooops spoke to soon, it wasn't the same bean I was looking for so still looking for the elusive 'Comtesse de Chambord' rice bean, any help in finding this bean would be much appreciated.

Annette

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Annette..how's your french? This girl has a blog and shows a photo of her heritage beans.

My french isn't good enough to see whether she trades or shares, or even if she is really in Quebec, but, it may be a start.

Here is a link that might be useful: louise quebec heritage vegetables

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

Doh! Just noticed a canadian dime and penny in the shot to show size..gotta be a Quebec site!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Wendy, thanks for the link I'll keep it in mind if another lead I have doesn't pan out. I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched so nuff said for now. This is another bean that seems to be fast disappearing probably because it's a bit labour intensive to grow and harvest, even in France I only found one place that sells it and one place closer to home that might have some next year. If anything pans out I'll come back with more info if I've been successful.

Annette

Original Author
    13 years ago

Update, well I finally found the little Comtesse de Chambord bean seed I was looking for, I had to bite the bullet and order them from France. The seed arrived in the mail 2 days ago, it only took a week to get here, a nice surprise I must say.
    On a brighter note, a little bird told me Comtesse de Chambord might be available commercially here in Canada next year if everything goes as planned, nothing to do with me but I will post the sources if this becomes a reality.

Annette

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

Glad you found them! I have an SIL that lives in Nice, and couldn't care less about gardening. (!)
    I'll have to get her to bring a few seedpacks with her next time she comes.

Original Author
    13 years ago

I grew the little Comtesse de Chambord bean this year, usually grown to use as a dry bean.
    I've only tried it as a green bean, very tender and sweet, will definitely grow it again next year.
    For anyone interested in growing this little rice bean Two Wings Farm on Vancouver Island now has it listed. I have no connection with Two Wings Farm other then buying seed from them, just thought I'd pass this little bit of info on for those who might be interested in growing this little heirloom bean.

Annette

• bev_w
    13 years ago

Annette, thanks for the update. If you have some to spare, this variety would be much appreciated by Seeds of Diversity members for their exchange listings. www.seeds.ca
    Sharing with SoD members will help keep the variety in the public domain, among gardeners who know how to save seed properly and who are keenly aware of just how precarious some of these old varieties are.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Bev, I just sent you an email.

Annette

• brightmeadow
    12 years ago

I just want to add a note here that the Comtesse is now available in several Canadian seed catalogues which is a real victory for this heritage seed.

Brightmeadow

• LoboGothic
    12 years ago

Picked up an unlabelled bag of rice beans at a market in France a couple of years ago and grew them out. They were hugely prolific with fine green filet type beans. I did shell out the seeds and yes, they were a pain. Maybe they were Comtesse de Chambord. Not sure if they were worth the trouble because the beans developed strings quite early.

• tvcotter
    3 years ago

We enjoyed our first meal of Comtesse green beans last evening and I can tell you they are worth the search! Tiny and delicious with no strings!

• HU-531744054
    2 years ago

I bought seed from Soltice Seeds in 2017. Did not get to planting them until now May 2021, so will see what results I get.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz