Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_lee_gw

Can I plant cannas in clay soil?

daisy_lee
19 years ago

This will be my first year planting cannas or would like to know if I can plant canna rhizomes directly into clay soil? Is it necessary to add compost, peat, etc.?

I am learning a lot reading all of the posts and hope I have luck with them like everyone else!

Thanks for any advice!

Daisy

Comments (4)

• jroot
    19 years ago

I would be adding compost to the soil. I had clay soil here, and they didn't do as well as when I added compost the next year. Also don't plant too deep. I made that mistake one year.

• whistlingdixie
    19 years ago

You can grow them in clay. I do--quite well. Don't plant them very deep, an inch or two. Full Sun, lots of water. Fertilize frequently and they'll do just fine.

• peatpod
    19 years ago

I too have clay soil but I made sure to ammend my soil also .. with clay if it dries out well .. it can be quite a mess. Ammend your soil .. you will be rewarded with huge blooms and many rhizomes in the fall :o)
    Laura

• jenna1
    19 years ago

You sure can. But like jroot and WhistlingDixie said, don't plant them too deeply.

However, if you have compost I would amend at least the backfill with it. It definitely won't hurt to dig your hole deeper and wider and mix the backfill with compost. I guess you could call that 'spot amending'. :))

And mulch with a rough compost as well. It will help to keep the clay soil from baking into concrete (altho that really won't stop 'em), but will keep the soil softer and will feed not only the soil as it breaks down, but will feed the worms as well.

Jenna