Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
euphemia_gw

To dig or not to dig, that is the question!

euphemia
19 years ago

I am a garden newbie and I would appreciate advice from fellow gardeners in Toronto. I have 5 cannas which were planted end of July/beginning of August. They have grown almost double their original size, to about 3 or 3.5 ft. and have a lot of big leafs. So far only one bloomed and now two others are with buds. I noticed that people are beginning to dig up their cannas and I cannot decide if to follow suit. These two which are in buds are so close to blooming. I'd really want to wait a bit longer to see them bloom and find out their colour (my landscaping contractors planted them for me but they have thrown away the tags!). On the other hand, I would really be very sorry if they died because I waited too long to dig them up. Any advice as to what I might do now? Many thanks in anticipation!

Comments (6)

• Gwyn
    19 years ago

Hello
    Mine have not bloomed in 2 years. However last year I dug them up when they got hit by frost. That is when my canna and dahlia leaves got black and wilted.
    Will be doing the same this year.

• turtlegirl03
    19 years ago

I agree with Gwyn. I think after the first freeze, the cannas will turn brown overnight. That will be your indication that it is time to dig them. The rhizomes should be fine.

• euphemia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Gwyn and Turtlegirl03:

Thanks for the advice. I can now wait a bit longer without too much fear. Many thanks again!

Euphemia

• euphemia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My cannas got hit by frost at last and I dug them all up yesterday evening. The one that was bearing buds didn't get to bloom after all, but I at least get to see that it is another yellow. The rhizomes have grown quite huge since they were put in end of July and there are a lot of young "eyes". I broke some of these while digging. Can I assume that each broken piece will become an individual plant, no matter how small it is? Also I can see that the tissues of these young eyes are very fresh and tender. I just wonder if they will rot easily. I intend to wash away the soil with water, dry them and then store them. Will this do any harm to the canna rhizomes? Thanks for any advice in advance!

• Gwyn
    19 years ago

My canna were hit by frost as well and I am not going to be able to dig up till Sunday. Is dark when I get home.
    Last year I washed off and then let dry in garage for a couple weeks, then wrapped in paper and put in a cardboard box in the basement. This year I will probably not wash off.
    Not sure this answers the question.

• dennisjmccoy
    19 years ago

I have never washed my canna rhizomes when brought in for the winter. The less you disturb the roots the faster they will start when put out in the spring.

Sponsored