Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Exchanges and trading and SASE and stuff like that...

tiffy_z5_6_can
17 years ago

I think we have a nice group here at the Canadian Winter Sowing Forum. A bit quiet, but that's very Canadian, eh? :)

Right above the postings where it says "On Topic Discussions", there is an 'exchange' where we can trade seeds or offer SASEs.

I think it would be nice if we started using this exchange a bit more, especially if those of us who have been winter sowing for a while would look at what we have that we can give to newbies and each other.

In the next few days I plan to empty my seed boxes - something I haven't done in a couple of years. I'll be offering SASEs for those who are interested. Hope others join in!

Comments (8)

• ofpill
    17 years ago

I'm happy to share calendula seeds for starters. I have more, have to look in the old box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ottawa Hortiphilia

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Is there a guideline as to whether the seed has to come from a wintersown plant?

Also, is there a guideline as to how old is too old to be exchanging or offering? I prefer to only give away or trade the previous year's seed and won't offer anything older but I was wondering how people felt about this.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You know, Barb, I've decided to get rid of some old ones too. I'd rather not throw them out and let someone else have a go at them. I figure if they germinate, well, that's a good thing. The loss would be if I threw them all out.

I'll be letting folks know if they are getting older seeds. In that way they will be prepared.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained they say. A few years back I sowed some seeds my mother had given me at least 10 years before. They were hollyhocks. They grew!

As to wether they come from a winter sown plant, it doesn't really matter. I get most of my seeds from trades which come from plants not winter sown. Sometimes on my packaging I do mention if they are from such plants or not.

• cziga
    17 years ago

I agree, there is almost no traffic in the CWS exchange forum, or even in this discussion forum. I'm new to wintersowing this year. I don't think I chose the best year to start, as the weather is being quite uncooperative. I sowed around the end of December, and then it refused to snow :) We have snow and cold weather now, so I hope the seeds and (hopefully) seedlings will turn out ok. They should know what they're doing. I've heard people on these forums talk about how they dont expect anything *could* grow, and then they start to sprout in the Spring and its a great surprise. That's how I feel now, so I'm looking forward to the surprise!

Anyways, I'd love to see more people participating in this forum and exchange. I don't have much to offer yet, as I'm still fairly new to it all, but I may also have some more seeds available to trade and SASE after I've done some more of my sowing and I see what I have left.

Its a new forum, or fairly new, and I'm looking forward to it getting busier :)

• sandyteach
    17 years ago

Hi fellow Canajuns!
    I am a newbie to w/sing, and usually go to the other site, as this one is usually quiet. Its nice to connect with other Canadians, though, and especially to exchange seeds. I have w/sown most of the seeds you sent me Nicole, and hope to start collecting seeds to share with others this year. This week I also bought seeds at Dollarama 3/$1.00. I've sown about 90 containers so far, and hubby is very curious as to whether this thing will really work. Anyway, good to talk to you all.

Sandy

• jimmyjojo
    17 years ago

Thought I'd add my two cents. Wouldn't it be better to just use the one Canadian seed/plant exchange for the whole Country? We "can't";) send seeds or plants elsewhere, so why not just put everything there? Native plant seeds, hardy perennials, tropicals, house plant cuttings, annuals, etc.

Wouldn't it be more organized to keep them all in just the one place? Rather than spreading them all over, then we'll have to go looking around and check all the other forum exchanges. Winter Sowing is just the method with which the seed is grown. It has nothing to do with what kind of flower or edible it is. Therefore you could put most hardy perennials seeds on either exchange which isn't very structured.

I think we should keep all the exchanging in the one place.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Joe,

I'm starting to grow fond of this forum, hence I'm offering seeds which I've collected in the past year on this exchange. More my pace to tell you the truth. :)

I must say if I want something to go really fast, I do post at the other exchange forum.

Winter Sowing is encouraging to new gardeners and sometimes timid ones. I remember the day when I first joined and didn't know how things worked. Sometimes a slower pace makes it easier to get to know things.

I do understand where you're coming from.

• brenda158
    17 years ago

Sandy I'm in Hamilton to. I have lots of parrot 4 o'clock seeds if anyone is interested, I probably have lots more seeds but I haven't had a chance to dig into my seed box lately. If anyone would like some for sase email me and let me know. Please email to hwlpl@yahoo.ca

Sponsored