Software
Houzz Logo Print
carolstropicals

Sweet Orange for Houston, Texas

17 years ago

I am looking for a sweet orange for the Houston area. There are many varieties listed at http://www.citrustreesonline.com/ for Texas. I have to stick with their offering since we are not allowed to buy citrus from other states.

Also they mention that any citrus can be pruned to be kept small. (interesting) . If not I surely need a sweet dwarf. The temps usually don't go below 25 if even that cold. It hasn't frozen in several years.

Any suggestions would be so helpful. Thanks !!

Comments (7)

  • 17 years ago

    Hello Caroltropicals. You have plenty of choices as H-town is a great area for citrus. I sure love the satsumas, not true oranges but very sweet and hardy and to me a better fruit than oranges. They should be able to be grown outdoors in your area with little effort.

    By the way, urban harvest is having there annual fruit tree sale in Houston comming up sometime soon. They usually have lots of citrus trees for sale. Check out there website if you get a chance.

    Thanks,
    Scaper

  • 17 years ago

    My favorite round orange is cara cara red navel. They are earlier than washington navel and are my best fruit. I live 90 east of you in Beaumont. You can find citrus trees all around Houston. Why mail order?

  • 17 years ago

    Go talk to the good people at Wabash Antiques and Feed, over on Washington, in the Heights. They are incredibly knowledgable and have a nice selection of citrus trees, of all types. They will not only sell you the right tree for your needs, but can give good advice for planting, growing, harvesting and anything else that has to do with the trees.

    -Colby

    Here is a link that might be useful: Wabash Antiques & Feed

  • 17 years ago

    Thanks for all the follow-up. Wabash is great. There is a lady on Sat. that knows oh, so much.
    Thanks for the tip on Urban Harvest. I found out about them last nite. I am hoping to attend some of their classes concerning growing citrus in small spaces. Can't wait for their sale, but I understand it is crowded. For 10.00 you can attend an early listing of the fruit trees for sale and learn other things.
    Everyone seems to recommend satsuma, but I want an orange this time around.

    Is the Cara Cara red orange a dwarf variety or can it be trimmed to keep as a dwarf.

    You guys are great. Thanks for the info.

  • 17 years ago

    The rootsock really determines if the tree is dwarf for the most part. The best dwarf rootsock for citrus is flying dragon. You should not have a hard time finding trees on flying dragon. Mr. Texas arent your trees for sale grafted to FD? Also there is an orange variety called Everhard that is supposed to be a genetic dwarf, meaning that is stays small no matter what rootstock it is on.

    hope this helps,
    Scaper

  • 17 years ago

    If you want a very nice sweet orange, large fruit which hangs well on the tree, seedless with wonderful juicy flavor, I would recommend N33E Navel Orange. Another option would be the Cara Cara (Red Navel) Orange, but do not expect the classic orange taste if you go that route.

    The best quality trees I have found so far are at JRN Nursery. They have 2 locations in Houston, and I have yet to find one of their trees that has leaf miner damage.

  • 17 years ago

    Mr Grizzly, thank you for the link to Wabash. I have lived out of houston for ever and I have never heard of them. I called and they have all the trees I want, thanks. Sally

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio