Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coachjohnsonlp

Sequoiadendron giganteum "Pendulum" from seed???

coachjohnsonlp
10 years ago

I ordered 10 seeds on ebay advertised as Sequoiadendron giganteum "Pendulum" seeds. I have 6 that have sprouted so far and they look identical to the regular Sequoiadendron giganteum plants that sprouted about a month earlier. I will post pictures soon but has anyone hear heard of weeping giant sequoia being grown from seed? Just hoping I didn't get scammed. The trees look amazing and I was hoping to attempt to slowly acclimate them to grow them in southern NY. Here is the link for the ebay seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sequoiadendron-PENDULA-WEEPING-GIANT-SEQUOIA-Seeds-/360913589312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item5408205440

Comments (11)

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Weeping trait can be inherited, but it's a misrepresentation to sell any seeds as the parent plant, which happens often on eBay, unfortunately. If you really want a 'Pendulum', you should purchase one from a reputable nursery, as you'll be buying a clone of exactly what you want, not a possibility from a seed.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Wouldn't a seedling that inherited the weeping trait be basically lying on its side pretty much right away?

• coachjohnsonlp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Which one would you think was the weeping one?

This post was edited by coachjohnsonlp on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 2:45

• coachjohnsonlp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is supposed to be a regular giant sequoia but looks more pendulous.....

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

It will take time to tell, and honestly, I doubt any will show the trait, but no reason not to be hopeful, and growing a tree from seed is always a good endevour. There are different levels of apical dominance in different weepers, where some would grow straight along the ground without training, others slowly swoop this way and that, but generally head upwards, while still others grow straight as an arrow, with weeping side branches.

This post was edited by unprofessional on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 7:21

• coachjohnsonlp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It appears as if a few of the seeds advertised as "weeping sequoia seeds" are growing in a more weeping/pendulous manner than the others. I will snap a few pics when I get home from work. They are all only a few inches tall at this point so it is still hard to tell.....

• coachjohnsonlp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One on the left seems like it is growing more outward and possibly pendulous...

• dnoakes49
    7 years ago

I'm Considering buying some of these seeds, have you any updates for me 2 years later - are they growing true to form??

• coachjohnsonlp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

None ended up with a weeping habit...

• User
    5 years ago

Darn it

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES