Software
Houzz Logo Print
lynnie44

why is it acceptable to put Buddha in a bathroom? disrespectful

14 years ago
Zen Space · More Info

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    It is Disrespectful to put any Deity in a Bathroom from a Believers point of view , Have you seen a Alter in a Bathroom ?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    For a Buddhist, i agree with Vikrant, this would be disrespectful. Technically, you are even supposed to remove a mala when you go to use the bathroom.
  • 14 years ago
    I'm the original writer -- and that was exactly my point. I find it disrespectful to put these images in bathrooms. Would they have done the same with a statue of Jesus.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with you, Lynnie, but as you no doubt have noticed, Buddha is quite a popular trend in the stores these days! Adding a Buddha has become a design choice, not a religious one, and the message of Buddha is getting muddied in the mire of "trend"
    Sad, yes, I agree. (and I am not Buddhist, but my life partner is! He loves adding Buddhas in certain areas of our home, but he would never in a million years put one in our bathroom)
  • 14 years ago
    I think that some people look at a sculpture like this and see, well, a beautiful sculpture, and may not necessarily be concerned with (or know) the religious significance of it. Definitely offensive to anyone who observes a particular faith or appreciates other faiths and sees elements of that faith used in a way that really shouldn't be, but not everyone thinks of it that way. Same with gift giving--one of my friends came back from India, which I would love to visit, and brought me some thoughtful gifts, but one of them was inappropriate for me--a small blue glass sculpture of an elephant that was meant to represent a deity (I'm sorry that I'm blanking on the name of the deity), but my well-meaning, nonreligious friend just thought it looked calming and that I would like it because I like elephants. I practice a monotheistic religion, so having any art, no matter how beautiful, associated with another faith in my home doesn't work for me (I have art from my own faith throughout my home, appropriately placed, definitely not in the bathrooms). I ended up giving the sculpture to a friend of mine who practices Hinduism and was happy to receive it.
  • 14 years ago
    Frankly, I am also distressed by the Buddha images for sale in most home decorator's stores.
    Again, it shows shocking ignorance of other cultures and beliefs. Not only that, it contributes to cultural vandalism -- note that all the heads of statues on walkways in Angkor Wat had to be replaced with reproductions because vandals cut them off to sell them, probably to Westerners
  • 13 years ago
    I look at the budah as a piece of art and love it in this bathroom. I do not look at it as a religious pieces but a piece that adds the zen feel in this bathroom. Good Job!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Ah, you see that that is the problem. It is not for you to say what is appropriate, It is for a believer to say. The image does not belong to you -- it belongs to them. Perhaps you believe in nothing. That is your privilege in the United States, if not elsewhere. It does not give you free rein to place religious images next to urinals
  • 13 years ago
    Isn't it the right of the homeowner to put whatever they want in their own bathroom? Believer or not?
  • 13 years ago
    Of course it is, but if they want to make it public, it is my right to point out it is disrespectful to believers--since perhaps they did not know they were being offensive. If they simply do not care they are offending, so be it.
  • 13 years ago
    why not be jesus ? that would be more art . you can use more than one , that would be more atr and art .
  • 13 years ago
    jesus would be much art. use jesus
  • 13 years ago
    @lynnie44 - As a Buddhist, I see your hurt at seeing Buddha statues being used as decorative items,once I saw a Buddha statue with a frog's head in a store to sell as bathroom decor.
    But as Christopher Sullivan says before me, Buddhism was never meant to be a Religion, [and that's why it's never been enforced under gunpoint (yet).] What Buddha preached has always been common sense and his teachings/philosophy was never supposed to be embolized by materialistic things,certainly not statues which were taken as "sacred" But human nature by nature need things to hold on to - tangible things or "beliefs" that either a god or some higher power has the power to control what happens to us - has made such "sacred" objects necessary.
    So whenever I see a Buddha statue being used as decor - I simply think how can such an act take away the truth or the essence of Buddha's teachings.only our actions as Buddhists can.
    So think WWBD (what would Buddha do) -JK- We really needn't bother.
  • 13 years ago
    surely as symbol of peace , calm and kindness everyone should be pleased that people for what ever reason are drawn to the idea/image........
  • 12 years ago
    It is majorly disrecpecting. Whether or not Buddhism is a religioun - the buddha is a person who should be respected. Try and put Jesus in a bathroom. I am buddhist and WOULDN'T put EITHER statues in an Efing BATHROOM!
  • 12 years ago
    Sinali Ranwala, should the Buddha, Jesus, or any other person visit my house, I would find it majorly disrespectful to deny them the bathroom.
  • 12 years ago
    Christopher Sullivan, you are very kind person to be able to share your bathroom with Buddha, Jesus but I doubt if either of them would want visit. :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I have a very small home, my Buddha when I had a bigger home had the grand place in my living room. It looked more like a decoration there. It is now by where I wash my hands, cleanse my body and try to remember to be the best person I can be on a daily basis. Christopher Sullivan is correct. Enlightenment does not come by judging. Neither does it make you a Christian.you will want to make a special place where the statue may be treated with respect.
    Do not put your Buddha statue where someone’s feet will be pointing toward the statue. While pointing with your finger at a monk or Buddha image is bad enough, pointing with your feet would be even more offensive.
    Keep the area free of objects that might tower above the image. Do not place your statue near refrigerators or other items that are much larger or much taller.
    Refrain from placing your statue or any other Buddhist related symbol in the bathroom, or any room where acts of passion might take place (I think you know what I mean). (This is what makes it bad folks-Angie's comment here)
    Position the statue so that it will not hang under laundry lines, as you want to make sure that things such as undergarments and socks will not hover above the statue.
    The main rule for placing a Buddha properly is to give him a lofty perch, such as a mantle, raised platform or tall shelving unit.
    Give him a place of honor in your personal altar. Buddha can be the main focus of your own shrine, surrounded by smaller, meaningful objects like a crow’s feather, sacred candles and your lucky penny.
    Keep out evil spirits by putting Buddha in your home’s front room facing the front door. Anyone who enters will immediately note Buddha checking him out and will flee if they are filled with evil.
    Have your whole house swirling with positive Buddha energy by giving him a throne in the middle of your home. Any central area will do, as long as he’s properly honored and not obstructing any pathways, which will block the flow of energy.
    (Mine is facing the door above everything else, my room is clean and it might be the reason why I have found extra peace from strife and pain)
  • 12 years ago
    bulletin: that is not the real Buddha - it's only a carving or a piece of cast stone. acts of passion? in the wc? the act of elimination is not very arousing to me, but i suppose there is room in this world for all kinds of stimulation. in any case, my sincere thanks to all the commenters here! i've bookmarked this thread to send to my friends whenever they try to convince me that organized religion is a good idea. oh, and whenever i get the chance, i point my feet at any monks i can find. it's quite liberating, like spending a lucky penny.
  • 11 years ago

    I am a Buddhist and I would not keep a statue of a religious leader in my toilet as I would feel I am being disrespectful. But that is my choice. By keeping a statue of the Buddha in the toilet you cannot offend or disrespect him. He is dead and even if he wasn't remember he was enlightened and would have no attachment to being respected, treated with reverence or whatever. As Buddhists neither should we. We should follow his teachings if we feel they work for us and not be getting worked up about where to place an inanimate statue. Remember karma is action with intention, as a Buddhist I should watch my own actions and intentions rather than worry about what others do.

  • 9 years ago

    @dwmohs ... Really? Golly, what a revelation.