Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryjane43

invasive tree roots

maryjane43
15 years ago

In my backyard I have tried to get many things to grow but nothing takes due to 2 silver maples. Last year, I put in a raised bed laying down two layers of landscape fabric, concrete blocks and sand as another barrier, then 12" of compost and soil. by the end of summer the roots had grown all the way through and choked the vegetables I tried to grow there.

Will anything grow there? The maples are about 12 feet away, the area gets 1/2 day of sun.

Comments (2)

• vetivert8
    15 years ago

If it was that you thought about using containers instead - it might be worth going for large/architectural ones. On feet.

As a plant- and potaholic I'd be leading you astray to suggest a myriad of small pots ;-D.

If your yard style is funky then old-style baths on crocodile feet, all painted wild colours could give you vegie garden, water garden and summer colour combinations.

If it's not - then concrete might be the way to go - and combine it with your entertainment/'I'm thinking about the garden' space - seating, umbrella or sun sail, decorator touches, barbecue, firepit.

I've done battle with Sequoia roots and that was the only solution that really worked when I wanted to grow things needing good soil and no competition.

What did grow straight in the ground? - Lamium, Crocosmia forever, Agapanthus, Acanthus, assorted hard ferns, Chlorophytum, little violets, German ivy, Plectranthus, some Narcissus, Vinca (oh, yes!), Crinum, jasmine. (Think of a weed...)

Yes, you can make a very attractive garden using weedy species. However, if you want vegies, herbs, special perennials and annuals, then you'll probably need to use a different approach.

• katrina1
    15 years ago

Get rid of the silver maples. If not they will even invade your pots with winged seeds that sprout abundantly every year, or it will be needless added work to keep picking the fallen seeds out of the pots. Silver Maples trees will also grow to be trees that, with every slightest wind, drop limbs and that easily break or smash any landscaping or gardening you manage to grow near the trees.

If you want trees in your garden, then replant with types of trees which will not cause so many problems as so often seen with shallow rooted and fast growing trees like is seen with most maples.

Sponsored