tarkovsky2002

Autumn olive jam/jelly recipe

tarkovsky2002
July 15, 2005

Can anyone provide a recipe for making autumn olive jam/jelly? I tried googling it, but didn't come up with anything helpful. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• larry_gene

I did a quick search when you first posted, and unless you want to make wine, other recipes are hard to come by.

• DonnaErnie

We also had problems obtaining anything other than actual purchasing of the jam. We looked at our Ball canning recipe book 1999 for help. There we found a Berry Jam pg 32, to that we added lemon juice just to add a little canning acidity. We experimented with different amounts of sugar to taste. Our final recipe is as follows:

Made 14 - 1/2 pints

9 cups pulp with juice - without pits
    14 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    Sterile 1/2 pint jars
    Sterile laddle, funnel, tongs, lid lifter

Bring slowly to boil (see pg 32 Blue Book Ball Berry Jam instructions), stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook rapidly to gelling point . As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle into hot jars, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
    We cooked mixture 50 mins before canning at as rapid a boil as possible, stirring constantly. We took foam off as necessary during boiling

Actually spreads nicely and is not solid in jars, has good spreading without chunks.

We also discovered a good way to get the pits out. After washing and taking the stems off, we put two layers of berries into a microwaveable dish, we cooked them for four minutes on high. Then we put the berries through a food mill(potato ricer)to remove the pits. This process made it so much easier to get the pits out and retain as much juice and pulp as possible.

Autum Olive Berry aka; Autumn Berry, aka; Aki-gumi (aukee - goomee)

Autumn Olive bushes originally came from Japan in 1830 per Internet Web site

• RONALDS

Why when the jelly in jar hot it starts to separate to a clear on bottom and redish on top?? What am I doing wrong?? Also do you need pectin??

Thanks Ron

• lagraywt

I devised a recipe through trial and error last year. Check it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreams and Bones

• honeybunchy

if you run the berries through a squeezo, the first watery runoff has all the bitterness. the juicy pulp can be strained for a delicious raw drink. then the pulp can be eaten raw or cooked,with or without sugar, or made into jam or leather. i don't know if discarding that bitter juice affects the acidity of jam. so adding lemon juice may be a safe bet. i just freeze the raw pulp for use later. it's great in yogurt. the berries have been getting sweeter-and easier to pick- all this month, but we haven't had a hard frost yet here in ct. i will pick more after the frost. my real problem is how to clean and treat the edible seeds. they are very fibrous. any suggestions??

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268