Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

Where did this come from

beegood_gw
13 years ago

Just showed up one day. Konrad I have a Canon power shot G9. As long as things don't move I can sort of do it. Once my poppies bloom I shud get some decent shots of bees collecting pollen. I hope!!

Comments (19)

• trisha_51
    13 years ago

I have that coming up in my raised beds, too. What kind of mushroom are they?

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I have a really big one that comes up every year in my semps. Mine has a flat top though, must be a different kind.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

It's a shaggy parasol from the looks of it. Delicious! Don't eat it unless you do a positive ID, though!

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

I was gone say some kind of Parasol but have never studied this one and never eat it.
    You have a descent Camera...not long ago I was gone get the
    G7. I have a SLR
    When taking moving subjects such as bees, then the camera has to shutter very fast...around 1/800 or 1/1000 of a second.
    Not sure if it works on yours..select dial to TV mode, [shutter priority mode] then select ISO setting, we have to go high, [unfortunate] to compensate the high shutter speed, set it around 500 or 800.
    Hope this helps.

Konrad

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Konrad. Will see what I can do. Going to Thunder Bay for a week so will have lots of chances to take pix. My goal is an SLR. Used to have a Zeis Ikon that was Slr but it is very old now.I never eat any mushrooms unless they come from a store. Only safe way I figure. Plus those wild ones get wormy too fast.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I would eat a wild morel because there's nothing else that looks close to it. My Dad used to eat some white ones that grew on his lawn and he got a dry mouth for days from them... I don't trust unidentified wild mushrooms since then. Even if they don't kill you they might have unwanted effects.

13 years ago

I have a couple of good mushroom ID books and have tried quite a few different wild mushrooms with no ill effects. The parasol one was shown as "choice", and it sure was! Yum!

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

EEk! That scares me! There are so many mushrooms that look similar, and some have really violent effects. I'm glad it was tasty though..please be careful!

13 years ago

I've taken spore prints of the mushrooms before eating them, and always made sure that they were positively IDed. Haven't done it in ages - looked for wild mushrooms, that is - though i saw a parasol on a lawn the other day and almost leaped at it! LOL

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After after hearing all this about this parasol mushroom I shall pick and eat the next ones.I love mushrooms but the thought eating the wrong one is too scary. I also have morels and shaggy manes but that's it. I hear puff balls are edible too. Is that right.?

13 years ago

Puffballs are edible as long as they haven't started to disintegrate on the inside. As far as the parasols go, make sure you do a positive ID first. I remember doing a spore print for the one i had. You may be able to find a site that will show you how to do it and what colour the print should be, and the pattern.

If you stop posting, we'll know i was wrong! LOLOL

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

LOL..
    I did go to a mushroom course at Devonian Gardens many years ago,
    we went into the bush and collected a bunch, then I.D. them.
    This was a good way to get to know them, but you have to keep up
    every year so you don't forget, I have been eating about 3 of them, the
    best I.M.O is the wild champions.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Champion

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well after all this good info on mushrooms I am ready to take them on. And if you don't hear from me till july. No I'm not dead. I went to Thunder Bay to visit my brother. When I come back---watch out mushrooms!!!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just got the Edmonton Parks & Rec calender for the summer and there is a course on IDing mushrooms. Will sign up for it tomorrow.

13 years ago

LOL - You can do a tutorial here after you're finished the course!

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Yea... then I can brush up on my skills!

Good for you!!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guess I will never learn all about mushrooms. The class was cancelled due to lack of interest. See--- if you had all signed it would have been a go.

13 years ago

Well, heck - call them back and tell them we're all auditing it!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wish I could. Was really looking forward to it. So no mushroom picking for now. And there should be lots after all the rain we are having.