Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabbyfarito

Need drama in this builder kitchen!

fabbyfarito
11 years ago
I need help adding some drama to this very basic builder kitchen. We are just about to move into a new house in the burbs. We have plans to rip out this kitchen in 5 to 7 years so I don't want to spend too much money on it. I was thinking of changing the handles to some more modern ikea bar type handles. I was also thinking about some patterned fabric bar stools with a high back to cozy up the place (maybe a black and white pattern). We are definitely adding pot lights and was thinking about putting 2 small black chandeliers over the counter. We have a pine harvest table with 6 white modern Eames chairs. I'm stumped about what kind of light for over the table. Any suggestions would be welcomed! Thank you!

Comments (44)

• hairobsessions
    11 years ago
    How about a pot rack in stainless steel over island with a matching track light along side it
  • fabbyfarito
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think its a good one. It will fill up the space and make a nice focal point. Now I just have to take a look at my pots to see if they are worthy to go on display! I'm not quite sure what you mean by adding the track light along side it. I'll take a look at some pot rack pictures to see if I can get the idea. Thanks!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Although I am not a fan of pot racks, I do think some inexpensive pendants would do wonders for your kitchen. Definitely paint your walls, add a Roman shade and put down some colorful throw rugs for very little cost.
  • mlvisentin
    11 years ago
    I came across your question as I was looking for ideas for chandeliers over our kitchen island, and was interested in wrought iron or black metal mini chandeliers. Did you actually find some you were considering that you can share the brand name here? Thanks!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Someone posted a potrack with lights built into it this week. Might search for it here or on HGTV's Rate My Space - not sure where I saw it.
  • Donna Green
    11 years ago
    Congrats on your new home! Nice large kitchen with lots of cabinetry and storage ... but bland. I would
    change out the lighting and hardware first and decide what look / theme you want...french country kitchen...modern kitchen...glitzy kitchen, etc. I think a chandelier is a great idea. I just purchase one I love for over my jacuzzi tub from this website for $99.00... http://www.gallery74.com/. The one I purchased is black wrought iron so they do not have to be too fancy. Definitely paint the walls maybe a nice grey with white trim and use decorative items in red OR orange OR purple for pops of color. Maybe a modern twist on the 1950s diner decor.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would have crown molding put on the cabinets. They look bare to me.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Since you have eames dining chairs and a pine harvest table, how about a black chandelier above the table, then cool wooden stools at the island?
    Cherner Chair Wood Base Stool - Bar · More Info
  • dreaw80
    11 years ago
    I would add a new light fixture, whatever suits your taste, then onto new hardware, and to really set it all off I would add a nice beefy crown molding on the top of the cabinets. Then accesories with pops of color. One color usually does the trick. Also some fab stools, and you should be good to go. Go with stainless steel appliances, they will hold their style even if you renovate in a few years. Hope this helps.
  • Martha Scott
    11 years ago
    Black and white tiles for the floor, and an accent color glass tile backsplash (lime, cobalt blue, yellow). Some fruit in a bowl and you would have a spectacular kitchen, that would be mid century classy to go with the style of your table and chairs. Maybe change out the cabinet pulls to colored glass.
  • PRO
    Driftwood
    11 years ago
    I'd put shelving on the end of the island to give the kitchen interest. Change the lighting to a large pendant. Paint the walls a dark grey and add a funky backsplash. Add some window treatments and cool stools and you should be one your way!
  • Christine Wrigglesworth
    11 years ago
    I love Darzy's ideas. I also agree that lighting can give it pizazz and also I would change the floor tiles to a colour that matches, like black (or rip them out and install wood). Depends on your budget and how much you can do yourself.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    There's nothing you can do inexpensively to make this kitchen look good, so why not just wait and save for the big reno. A pine harvest table will not go with Eames chairs. Put the Eames chairs away for the future and buy some cheap comfortable wooden chairs at WalMart or Target.
  • PRO
    Michele Smith
    11 years ago
    Change the hardware, Add glass cabinets above the range or a hood. Hang a HUGE black Chandelier or rewire for Hanging pendants and under counter lights. Need a great colorful glass backsplash to match lighting over island. Add 12" cabinets to top of existing all glass faced. Change out the sink to undermount single bowl and paint center island cabinets as well. You can coordinate the backsplash to the island cabinets and the lighting. Go DARING and add Fushia or stay neutral with grays and soft blues.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Thanks Christine!
  • Susan Watts
    11 years ago
    The kitchen is great. does need a splash of color and once the refirgerator and stove is in there it will look a lot different. needs some kind of window treatment.
  • Michele McNamara
    11 years ago
    Add a bright tea kettle on the stove and a bright pitcher holding kitchen utensils on the counter next to it. A fabric shade.
  • Sharon Burridge
    11 years ago
    how about some backsplash between the counter and cupboards and maybe a hanging light fixture above the island.
  • Marie Hamby
    11 years ago
    I Like Pendant lights over Bar and why not add Saddle Seat stools .They will appear to give more room .Other than clutter up the space.Black... Paint Walls Harvester Golden yellow Sherwin Williams Beautiful Color and then ADD accents of red to spice up the Space.Plates and ETC.
  • jenn74
    11 years ago
    I would add crown molding to the cabinets and lighting above them, stainless appliances, would put black pulls and knobs on cabinets, put dark wood floors and paint the walls "revere pewter" by Benjamin Moore, put pendant lighting in dark metal with a color of your choice and then match the fabric for the barstools also in dark metal and valance to those pendant lights to pull in the pop of color. Add travertine backsplash with a mosaic and add some glass panels in the cabinets that are alighned with the island (next to stove) . I see a vent for stove...no microwave?
  • Ann Maskery
    11 years ago
    The kitchen in whole looks bland. I would' have had a black n grey slate floor .pendant lighting in red with the white cupboards but with big long handles .and a pale grey walls.
  • Lori Clark-Gardner
    11 years ago
    Assuming the appliances will be stainless, a charcoal tin ceiling would add tons of drama....as well as some gray flannel parson style bar stools.....also the earlier suggestion of a pot rack would work really well in this kitchen
  • Caitlin Schmidtke
    11 years ago
    Hi, I personally love the look of a glass splashback [ I have my kitchen in my album and went for a neutral color ] so would start with that and work out the other elements as in lighting etc as I love the clean lines as well as it is the easiest to clean - I hated cleaning tiles and grout especially in kitchens.

The glass can be painted any colour you want and the whole kitchen can be transformed in to any theme you wish - you can go neutral or dramatic, the possibilities are endless.

The link below is a gallery of what can be achieved and is relatively cheap compared to some other options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glass+splashbacks&biw=1680&bih=957&sei=P36IUOidGqTzmAWG5oDYBw&tbm=isch
  • Keerthi Naidu
    11 years ago
    Have you considered black chandeliers like these? They seem like they may fit the style you're going for - I think they'd look great over the counter!

Kitchen · More Info
  • nancycrane
    11 years ago
    I agree with adding a tile backsplash...warm up the walls with a paint color and you could add corbels under the island countertop on either side still allowing room for chairs...once you add your appliances, I think you'll be able to go from there!
  • rebeccavanloon
    11 years ago
    I suggest a backsplash with Mediterranean stone subway tiles (this was only about $350 to $500, including labor, a one day job), under-mount lighting (we did that for about $700 and it made the kitchen look high end), and the two tasteful pendants instead of that awful small light (as others have suggested). In addition, great barstools (something with wood/neutral tone.) The walls need a neutral hue to bring out the cabinets. It's simply too much white on white at the moment. The space is tasteful, so these elements will really enhance the space.
  • Vito Villa
    11 years ago
    Agree with saving money until you demolish and replace. Think backsplash pendant lights and stainless accessories and appliances.
  • PRO
    END Group Design Build
    11 years ago
    First of all, it would be nice to add a few pendants above the island. Also, since your island is facing sideways, I would suggest to create a waterfall effect with your counter top, meaning that it will wrap the side all the way to the floor, so you don't see the transition of materials ( base cabinet & countertop). This way you will also add a nice contrast between pale cabinetry and floor tiles. For backsplash, I would pick something darker to make the cabinets pop, in warm colours ( make sure the temperature colour is the same), and add trendy bar stools from the same colour family as the backsplash. Lastly, please keep in mind that hardware add a luxurious look, as well as plumbing fixtures and appliances ;)

Good luck! And please post pictures when the kitchen is complete! :D
  • Crystal Wall
    11 years ago
    Here's a look at one direction your kitchen could go. :) Enjoy!
  • Susan Shaffer
    11 years ago
    There doesn't seem to be a splash back. You could go for a modern look with bright glass say red or green which would go well with the black and white. If you want a more traditional look then a patterned tile in black white and another colour. Depending on modern or traditional then put in hanging light fitting that matches.
  • diannefive
    11 years ago
    For a fairly simple yet dramatic change remove the upper cabinets over the stove area & replace with a modern stainless exhaust hood. Backsplashes to be done in glass mosaic or subway tiles. Check Overstock.com great tile prices. Definitely streamline the cabinet hardware. If you can, drill a 2nd hole above the present one for an elongated stainless steel bar handle. Lastly look for an elongated chandelier for above island & something similar for table but NOT matchy matchy. The pine table with the Eames chairs....no. Pick one or the other. Should you go with the pine possibly consider a stone backsplash to incorporate the warmth of the pine. You will do just fine. Review other kitchens on the Houzz website. And STAY within your budget.
  • tberry48
    11 years ago
    how about tin silvertone tin ceiling tiles and backsplashes all around the cabinets with warm toned wood laminate flooring, add the Cherner woodbase stoolsand colorful accessories of your choice, that you can change out seasonally.
  • PRO
    Heather Cleveland Design
    11 years ago
    I think a splashy full height tile backsplash would really add some drama to the space!
  • Melissa Sims
    11 years ago
    The cabinets could use some beautiful molding on top.
  • papatragg
    11 years ago
    rich dark floor - color on the walls - stainless appl
  • papatragg
    11 years ago
    rich dark floor - color on the walls - stainless appl
    drum lights over lsland
  • Kim Lunsford
    11 years ago
    Some beige curtains, stainless steel appliances, a wrought iron chandelier and some medium color wood stools oh and beige tile floor.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    The kitchen is spacious and has a good floor plan. The simple white and off-white colors make it a blank slate. If you want to add drama, a chandelier over the island is a great place to start (check overstock.com for bargains). Pick a striking fabric for a Roman shade, use the same fabric for seats on the island bar stools. Choose one color from the fabric shade and use that as your paint color for the walls. Don't paint the cabinets themselves now, they'll need it in a few years any way. Cabinet knobs and pulls run $2 each on up; you can replace them all for less than $100. For $500 or less, plus the cost of bar stools, you can make some dramatic changes in your kitchen.
  • soraliavale
    11 years ago
    I would add a tiled back splash maybe a stainless steel subway tile for a sleek modern look or a stone veneer backsplash this would add texture and depth... http://www.norstone.com.au/images/Ochre%20RP%20Backsplash.jpg . Change your floors to a darker tile for dramatic effect; dark hardwood is always nice . Change your hardware. I like when modern and rustic elements are mixed in a space see example http://www.qedesignsource.com/2011/02/modern-rustic-kitchens/
  • Karen Sanderson
    11 years ago
    efficientkitchens.entertainingenterprizes@facebook.com

Here are some ideas I am saving for an efficient kitchen or bath... enjoy you are featured here on this page... good promotion!
  • rosemarie105
    11 years ago
    Pendants and a nice tiled backsplash will add life to that kitchen. Maybe paint the island a darker color.
    [houzz=
    Grand Beach Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • Diane Arnold
    11 years ago
    I would definately change lighting. Add a backsplash and paint walls. Just
    these few changes will make a huge difference. My choice of color would be red and add stainless steel acessories. With red,white and black you can add most any primary colors as accents. Have fun with your new space. It will look wonderful I am sure.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    @nevadan..eames chairs look good with almost anything!
    Eclectic Dining Room in Craftsman · More Info