Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tightathome

Firecracker

tightathome
16 years ago

There is always one cultivar or species that just will not grow for you no matter how hard you try!!

In my case it used to be Nellie Nuttal, this became known as a grow and throw cultivar. Because it was one that I had difficulty with, due to whatever reason, I used to grow it and then throw it away, until I tried again. However I overcame whatever the problem was and I eventually managed to grow Nellie Nuttal to an acceptable standard.

My latest glitch is 'Firecracker'. I have seen the occassional good specimen on the show bench, but attaining this standard has so far alluded me. I currently have 2 plants of Firecracker which I have treated in a number of ways i.e well watrede, left a bit longer between watering, fed not fed, sprayed with water and not sprayed, but can I get them to put on any growth....... I have three cuttings coming on quite well, maybe it depends on how the plants are rooted.... who knows?

As you can see from the photograph, I don't have any problems with my other fuchsias.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Hi Tight,
    My experiences with Firecracker, the first 2 plants of this I promptly killed by over watering. This Fuchsia absolutely hates wet feet. I finally got it right, water thoroughly, then let it almost dry out completely before watering again. I love the look of this plant when young, the leaf colour is so vibrant but when it blooms personally I think the flower colour clashes with the foliage. Never the less I grew one on for a couple of years to prove to myself I could do it. The end result, I tossed it, I found later in the season the foliage lost its vibrant colour, just looked muddy to me and as I wasn't fond of the flower colour next to the colour of the foliage, I bid it farewell.

A......

• tightathome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi A

I think that is half the trouble... not being able to grow it!! Posibbly once I have mastered the art I will throw it myself... it's just that I have to be able to beat it.

Personally for a Triphylla type I find Insulinde hard to beat. It can be stopped and shaped almost like any other 'normal' cultivar and comes back even better after a hard pruning.

Still... I must keep trying with that *&%*9@# Firecracker until I get at least one good one.

Tight...

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Tight,

By looking at some of your plants I'm positive you will succeed, I think with some of us it's the challenge that get us hooked, not, this is the one plant I just have to have. :o) I have never grown Insulinde, I'll have to see if it's available to me.
    I just bought WALZ Harp last year, I love the flowers on this one. Right now I'm just growing it for cuttings, for me to get a good selection of Fuchsias I have to import them from the States, so I like to have a few backups, just in case.
    They weather here has turned hot and windy so my Fuchsias need some extra loving care, I'm off to the shade house to soak the gravel floor and mist the foliage.
    Good luck with that *&%*9@# Firecracker, I'm sure you will master the situation.

A......

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH