Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Red ants in a new flower bed

natalie4b
12 years ago

I have built a new flower bed around the tree, and now red ants made a house there.

Do I just ignore them or use some chemical/organic repellent?

Will they harm flowers?

Thanks!

~Natalie

Comments (8)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

some ants can undermine soil structure and harm plants. The way you get rid of them depends on you. Are they big red ants? Harvester ants were in my garden two years ago, and they were annoying. I was able to get rid of them with a few means. A) boiling water drenches were they were not in the garden by plants (I didn't want plant soup)
    b) using a Greenlight brand of organic fire ant killer that I can not longer find anywhere
    c) using applications of cheap molasses and compost tea to make soil more fertile and ant enemy's more prevalent (I am convinced that b & c worked best.

I now have terrible problems with ants invading my home. Nothing "natural" and Terro didn't either has worked so I'm going to get some Amdro ant block and call it a day. I hate to use chemicals but they are all over in the house (it's gross). Amdro seems to annihilate ants if you need a good product.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you GGG - I always like to go for an organic way first. If it does not help - will have to bring on big guns.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

If you just want them to relocate, you could try disturbing the nest a bit (with a stick or shovel); sometimes that is enough to convince them to move the nest.

• bagsmom
    12 years ago

Guys -- this is the year of the ants at my house. We have every kind I know of! Strangely, the big black ones have been making their way into the house. (Not carpenter ants, just the large black ants.) I've seen the itty bitty teeny ones cruising around a bit. The worst are the fire ants! We have a half block area in which fire ants are in every front yard. It's as if they are one massive colony. I've used fire ant killer, which is usually pretty effective. This year, it just seems to make them re-locate. Frustrating! Especially when you have kids who like to explore outside.
    Between fire ants and yellow jackets, I'm not too happy. OH -- also black widow spiders! Seems like we have a lot in our neighborhood! What's the deal!?!?!?!

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

An unbalance in the world of prey and predators?

• bagsmom
    11 years ago

I don't know! We are in a very nature-y area in town -- we have lots of everything. Hawks, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, raccoons, possums, coyotes... tons of songbirds.
    Maybe the ants are just a part of that "lots of everything" trend!

:) Hey! I need an anteater!

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I had to bring on the big guns. Amdro Ant Block did it for me. Awesome stuff. I'm done with the stupid ants for the year (inside)...

• bmmalone
    11 years ago

Has anyone tried cinnamon? it worked for me. Just sprinkle some round the next. Ants hate it.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz