Software
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_emily

Growing ginger from grocery store root...

21 years ago

I've never tried to grow any kind of ginger before, but I read about planting the root from the grocery store, and decided to try it. I know everything I read about it says it likes inidrect light, so I planted mine in a pot with about one inch of potting soil covering the root (when wet) and hid it under some very tall cannas. Now I have two nice, thick and dark green shoots coming up. My question is, what do I do now? Do I split up that big ol' root and have several plants growing in separate pots...can they be planted in the ground...what care do they need then, if I can...do I just leave the thing whole and wait for blooms? THEN..if I do get blooms, can THEY be used as cuttings for future ginger plants?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations