Software
Houzz Logo Print
johnsaunt

Newbie with questions

20 years ago

I was given a hedychium in a pot and did everything wrong at first~too much sun burned the leaves, let it dry out and droop over and over. But now it's blooming and gorgeous. I'm planning it bring it inside for the winter and then plant in the ground next year in a suitable place where, I hope, it will be able to stay in the ground all year. Here are some questions:

l. It's very potbound and the tall stalks would flop over if I didn't have them propped against the branches of the Franklinia that's sheltering it. What is making it so leggy? Lack of direct sun? Bad watering habits? Or is it that the way it grows?

2. When it finishes blooming, should I cut back the stalks to make it go dormant or should I let it get hit by frost? Or just let it dry out?

3. It'll winter over in a glassed in breezeway with afternoon sun and night temps that are very chilly, but not cold. Would it continue to grow under these conditions, or will it go dormant?

4. Would it be better to divide and repot after it goes dormant, or in the spring when it starts growing again?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I wish this forum had a FAQ page!

Ginny

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio