Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Anybody here using an old-fashioned push/reel mower?

squirrellypete
15 years ago

I'm getting ready to plant our first lawn (finally!). It's really a pretty small area, about 400 sq feet and very level. I'll be the one mowing it and I was considering using a manual reel mower. I've read up a little about them on the internet and found mostly favorable reviews but I was just curious if any of you use one and what your opinions are (good brands/models, bad brands, etc....) I trust ya'll way more than anonymous reviews. Even went to Sears today to push one around a little and see how difficult it was (not bad at all but of course I wasn't cutting any grass with it).

I want one because my ears are pretty sensitive to loud noise, no fuel costs, fewer mechanical problems and starting frustration, etc...(of course they're better for the air too). Any recommendations?

Danielle

Comments (12)

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Hey Danielle,
    We have one that you can have. Our yard is pretty big, and my husband hates mowing, so it's no longer in use. We'd be happy to give it a new home.
    Pam

• lzygrdner
    15 years ago

Danielle, I have the Scotts mower, I got it over amazon. many don't allow your lawn to mowed higher than 1.8'. I have fescue and mow more like 2.5'. The best rated brand wasn't right for me so I went with the scotts.

I only have a front lawn and it's about 900 sq ft. It works nicely. I found the favorable reviews I read on amazon to be on the money. I have to be careful to switch direction every time. and it is a modest work out. But I like the simplicity of it, and I guess gas lawn mowers pollute ridiculously.

I say go for it. Harriet

Here is a link that might be useful: scotts lawn mower

• shot
    15 years ago

As I remember as a kid, we had a reel/push mower and it worked fine as long as you don't allow the grass to get too high. Then it tends to bind. Don't know if it would work on this bahia grass that I have now, esp. when it is hot and dry.
    Shot

• buford
    15 years ago

We have one to use on spots where the riding mower can't/won't go. The grass cannot be too high or it doesn't work. Also, it's not that great on bermuda. It is a good work out.

You may also want to consider an electric mower. I have a friend who has a small patch of lawn and loves hers.

• squirrellypete
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey everyone,

wow thanks for the quick responses! Pam, I'd LOVE to have it if you're sure ya'll won't need it anymore. I was prepared to buy one but this would be doing me a big favor. I'll send you an e-mail and we can discuss the pick-up details.

Shot and Buford, thanks for the advice on using one. I'll be sure and not let the lawn get too unruly. Since it is such a small area I'm hoping I'll be more likely to mow it on schedule.

Harriet, I appreciate the review about the Scott's mower. I looked at those on Amazon too and that was one I was thinking about. Pam's offer is too good to pass up though but I'll keep the Scotts in mind if I ever do need to buy one new.

Ya'll have a good day and I hope everyone got some rain yesterday. Sincerely, Danielle

• pam_3
    15 years ago

Ok, great! I'll find out the brand for you. Looking forward to seeing you again. (I don't live too far from the Grower's Outlet, if you need an excuse to go there!)

• squirrellypete
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pam, that's so funny...just today I was trying to think of how I could justify driving all that way to Grower's Outlet (no joke) to get plants I don't need but so badly want. Hi, my name is Danielle, and I have an addiction.

We usually go every year after the Spring swap but since my mom and I couldn't make it this year, I didn't get my Grower's Outlet fix either. Today I was admiring the peony I got there last year that decided to surprise me with a bloom and it reminded me how much I missed going every year. Now it looks like you're providing me with a mower and an excuse to shop.

Sincerely, Danielle

• Kathy Bochonko
    15 years ago

Not to mention you can rationalize spending more since the mower is free! I love rationalizing.

• pam_3
    15 years ago

I feel a little naughty offering up so much temptation.

• squirrellypete
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooh, Kathy I hadn't thought of that. Good point!! There's nothing wrong with being rational, right?

Pam, being naughty is so much more fun though. My husband considers you all facilitators. Depending on how much I end up bringing home you may just end up on his "list". Don't worry though, you'll be in good company. Glynis, my mom, several others from this group and the Denney's from Fern Cove Daylilies are all on "the list" too.

Danielle

• railroadrabbit
    15 years ago

I've talked to some that use them and have been told that at times they need to mow twice per week when it is rainy and the grass is really growing. But with 400 s. ft. you can get it done pretty quickly.

If anyone figures a way to adjust the height above the 1" height on the unadjustable mowers, I'd love to use mine more. But when I use it on a regular basis with the fescue lawn, the shortness tends to invite weeds into the lawn.

• eddie1
    15 years ago

Maybe not as pertinent as some of the other comments but my brother has zoizia and he mows it once a year. That's right, ONCE a year. I admit it gets a little clumpy with so little mowing but he doesn't mind. In the winter when it is brown he burns it so he starts with a level lawn in the spring. About the reel type mower, I remember using them when I was a kid. The grass can't be too tall and the blades must be sharp but they worked fine. We even had a gas-powered reel type mower but my father-in-law sold it. Every year I encroach on the lawn a little more as I need the space for more important plants than a million identical blades of grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden & my music

Sponsored