Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandth

cheap daylilies

dandth
16 years ago

I need a whole bunch of daylilies - any kinds - I like a mix. (probably 50) I was hoping this fall I'm might be able to get some cheap from people dividing. I certainly can't afford 50 plants at $5-7 a pop and I'm not very good at planting rhizomes or bulbs, they never seem to do very well for me. :-(

I've got a pitiful 5 gallon gardenia I can trade ;-)

Any thoughts? I'm in Acworth.

Comments (25)

• buford
    16 years ago

Yes, get a few and just let them grow. In a few years you will have more than you want.

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

if you can wait a while i have some that will need thinning out. i will also have some tall yellow iris if you would like some. i also have limelight artimesia, chocolate mint and a couple of other things to share. let me know

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

I've never done it myself but I heard on the daylily forum there are a few well-known daylily growers on the internet who have periodic clump sales of the varieties they have an excess of. Maybe that would be a way to go. I've heard other daylily folk say you can get clumps from these sales which will have anywhere from 4-10 fans sometimes more for around $5 depending on which varieties you get. Of course you have to pay shipping though. Might be some local growers who do the same too I just don't know who they are.

Squirrellypete

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

You can maybe find some of the orange ones growing on the side of the road.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

Buy what you like and wait for them to grow. Keep up the miracle grow! Then divide. As already pointed out, soon enough you will have an adundance.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

I bought Stella D'Oros in quart pots at Home Depot last year. They have grown so much that you couldn't fit them in gallon pot this year! And blooming their heads off in full sun.

• Twinkle
    16 years ago

The Growers Outlet always has some for $1. It's hit-or-miss though on the quality of the plants. Last time I went the plants were all dried up and I didn't buy anything. Other times I have been and the plants looked great, and you can't beat their prices. You can check their plant list at www.growersoutletllc.com

• dandth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks.

Bmmalone> I am definately interested when you are ready - I'd even be willing to help you divide them if you want.

I thougth about digging up the orange ones on the side of the road, then I thought better of it - A) I'd feel guilty for disturbing the few roadside beauties there are, and B)I'm afraid I 'll accidentally dig up something bad along with it - Like Kudzu!

I will check out the Grower's outlet and keep fertilizing what I've got...I think I've got around 20 plants already.

• aqrose
    16 years ago

I definitely recommend Gilbert H Wild & Sons. They're having an awesome sale right now. I bought from them last year and have gorgeous blooms just starting now.

Also, check out the sellers on Ebay. I bought quite a few there last year. Really good prices for great plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gilbert H. Wild

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

can you remind me in september/ocotober about the daylilies, as i have promised plants to many people around that time. i guess is should keep a note........ but i prefer to play outside in the garden!

• bevinga
    16 years ago

Twinkle,
    Where is the Grower's Outlet you mentioned? Is it an online source or a store in the Atlanta area?

Thanks,

Beverly

• Twinkle
    16 years ago

The Growers Outlet is in Loganville. Their website has directions. www.growersoutletllc.com

• bevinga
    16 years ago

Thanks!

• mkrkmr
    16 years ago

Alcovy Daylily Farm is in Newton County (40 mi. E of Atl). They have inexpensive daylilies, but perhaps not as cheap as you're looking for. They do mail order or you can pick them up. Great selection, great people. They're very generous with what they call "one plant." You can often divide them when you get them. What was nominally a $5 per plant order (the range in my order was $2 to $10 per plant), turned out to be around $2-3 per. They have a buy 2 get 2 free deal (that's how $4 per pl turns into $2 per plant) on many of the daylilies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alcovy Daylily Farm

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Mkrkmr, do you know if Jessie and Mary Lois are having an "open gardens" day this year? For probably the last 3 years now I have e-mailed them to get the date for it and for one reason or another they weren't doing it. I guess if they are this year it's either going on now or will be very soon!

If you receive the farmer's market bulletin I believe it's in the fall that Jessie will advertise clump sales there. You have to buy the entire clump no matter how many fans and I think it was $1/fan.

• mkrkmr
    16 years ago

Hi wildflower, I don't know if they are having an open gardens day. Last year by this time, which is when I went to pick out my order, Jesse said the garden was little past prime. (but it still was pretty amazing). -Mike

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

A few years back they sold Daylillies dirt cheap! Then, the big store wisened up and started selling them as singles for a lot more money. I haven't bought any in almost 5 years.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I've bought individual fans at flea markets before...really nice ones too.

• Gail
    16 years ago

Try www.classygroundcovers.com out of Athens.

A bunch of 50 for under $30. Free shipping.

Gail

• aqrose
    16 years ago

I've never heard of them and I live in Athens. LOL! :) Is it a store you can visit or an online only store?
    Thanks.

• Gail
    16 years ago

Just online. They advertise "home of the sudden service" and they're not kidding. I've ordered items early on a Monday and had them arrive at my place (in Augusta) on Tuesday.

They specialize in ground covers. Have a good rating on "Garden Watchdog". I've ordered daylillies, hosta and ferns from them.

• rinomanfroni
    15 years ago

I have just found a seller on eBay selling 100 wild (orange) daylilies for 10 dollars. Pretty good bargain though.

• ilikemud_2007
    15 years ago

Watch out for the wild "ditch" lilies unless you don't mind battling them in the future. I went to growers outlet and the daylilies they had were very nice. They had many on hand, mostly the rebloomers; Happy returns, Stello D'oro, and the red one. Cheap.
    What are you doing with them BTW? If you've got a giant space you might consider adding some other perennials. Generally daylilies bloom for a short period of time. You'll have a fantastic Father's Day show and then not much else. You could throw seed for Black eyed susans and/or purple cone flower.

• willy12
    15 years ago

Searching myself. I just came across directgardening.com. I have never ordered but probably will. As low as 16 for $12.95. They also have 1 cent sales.

Willy

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Just get a few 3-4 gal day lilies from any nursery/garden center. Pick real full ones. Bring 'm home, take them out of their pots, put in water overnight. The next day separate them into singles. Sometimes you will need a real sharp knife to cut them apart.
    Now plant them about 12 -18 inches apart. Use potting soil to fill around bulbs/roots. Pack the soil good and water them more often. Next year each of those singles will be a bunch. After a few years each one of them can fill a 10 gal pot.

Sponsored