Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wert9wert

Do you sell your gourds?

wert9wert
19 years ago

Hi,

Just dreaming while the gourds are growing .....

Can anyone give their experience with selling decorated gourds (painted, woodburnt, cut)?

I was looking at Ebay .... does anyone sell their stuff there? Or is it better to have a regular internet site? Or both? Or are craft fairs used?

Just wondering .. and dreaming ...

Loretta

Comments (5)

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Loretta-I don't grow my own gourds but have sold a lot of the ones I decorate and make bird houses out of.Mostly mine are sold to people I know then people they know.There are lots of decorated and raw ones sold on E-Bay but I have never done that.I have bought a lot of raw ones off e-bay though.I think a website would probably be great but I don't know that you would sell any more there than if you were to take them to craft fairs or maybe just put an advertisement in your local newspaper,which is something I am planning to do in the near future.I think how they sell depends a lot on the area you are in also.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.........Lillie

• wert9wert
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Lillie, I just plan of giving them as gifts .... then my mind started wandering on what would happen if I had say fifty of them :)

Loretta

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

I, too, give my gourds away. But, I am in the process of trying to be juried into a large Fall Festival here and working like crazy to get enough to sell. And, my brother, who is also a gourd artist, has found a place to have a permanent booth at a tourist spot and now I got to work double crazy to have enough for both. Oh, well, I'll be busy.

• susie53_gw
    19 years ago

We have a local craft fair each year and there is a lady that sells gourds like crazy. She doesn't paint them or anything. Some she has already drilled the hole for a bird house... She always sell everything she brings....

My daughter-in-law's mother has painted on gourds for years. She has been in business for several years. Even has several books out.. Beautiful work.... Unfortunally she passed away this past year. I was the blessed with one of her painted gourds from her husband last Christmas... I will cherish it always..

Just have fun with all of this..

Susie

• hengal
    19 years ago

Susie -

Your daughter-in-law's mother wasnt Aurelia Conway was she? If so, WOW is all I can say. BEAUTIFUL work - I have several of her books.

Loretta -

I grow my own gourds and paint them also. I've never done a craft show but get the "fever" to do one every once in a while. Problem is finding the time to work on enough for an inventory to bring to a show. A couple of years ago I "met" a gal here on the GW forums and she ordered 10 painted gourds from me - sells them at her farm out west. And then ordered ten more (I'm still working on that order). I was thrilled as I have never sold them before - I'm like everyone else - I have given many away to friends and family. I've often longed to do a show, but haven't so far. Then, I've also had thoughts of selling painted and raw gourds from our home in the country. I have visions of very large gourd gardens, various arbors and such that people could take tours of - even younger school children as a class field trip. Lots of ideas rolling around up in my head. :)
    Nonnie - wow - what a great opportunity for you! Good luck!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County