Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennymacdonald

i need your help with gourds!

pennymacdonald
19 years ago

I need to know how to clean out the inside of a GOURD for using as a bowl. Just for nuts or candy, not for food as in soup. Any info would be great.

TIA

Penny

Comments (2)

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Penny-Are you talking about tools to use for cleaning the inside of a gourd? There are tools specially made for that purpose but I improvised when I first started working with gourds. The first "tool" I used was a melon baller! Works pretty good and I still prefer it for some projects over the cleaning tool that I ordered. I also use spoons that I sharpened with a file. Just about anything that has a sharp edge,or that you can sharpen the edge of,and that is comfortable in your hand. Remove the seeds then scrape off as much of the soft membrane as you can with the tool,then use coarse sandpaper to get the rest. Finish off with fine sandpaper for a smooth finish. The surface should look like wood when finished. You can then seal the inside with a water base acrylic sealer. You can also paint the inside surface with a water base acrylic craft paint or even decopage,then seal with acrylic sealer. This is safe if you don't plan to use it for food,(as in soup),and will make it easier to clean with a damp cloth. You can also use an oil like is used on wooden salad bowls to prepare the inside for the bowl. I think there is a food safe Tung oil for that purpose and I have also heard of people using vegetable oil to seal the inside. If the inside is properly prepared gourds can be used for food,(yes,even soup),as they have been for hundreds of years. Good luck.........Lillie

• pennymacdonald
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think this help is WONDERFUl. Thank you so much. I will take what you said to heart and come up with something. I knew that if I could post here I would get someone's experiance. :0)
    Thank you once again.
    Penny

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm