0

Will Citrus grow in Savannah Georgia?

savannah1234

We are moving to Savannah, Ga from Jacksonville, Fl and would like to continue to grow citrus trees such as oranges, lemons, tangerines and kumquats etc. Are there any citrus plants that grow well in the Savannah area? Any help would be appreciated.

• agnespuffin

Citrus will grow, but we have enough freezing nights and heavy frost that only the hardiest can be depended on to bear every year. Some winters will be warm enough for fruit, but this doesn't alway happen.

The dwarf trees can be covered when you know a frost or freeze is coming. You might want to think about those.

I have an orange tree, and frankly, it attracts butterflies that lay all sorts of eggs. I get an impressive crop of caterpillars and bare twigs. But I keep hoping that maybe one year, I will get an orange.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's so interesting to hear of the 'exceptions to the rule', isn't it? I lived for many years in Beaufort, just a bit north of Savannah. Much to my surprise, I found (over the years), several examples of mature, bearing citrus here and there in B. county.

Two orange trees were planted several years ago from the seeds of oranges brought from Florida. They were very large, and loaded with the most delectable, juicy oranges I have ever eaten. They had been productive for several years, surviving some very harsh cold spells.

Another example was a neighbor (next door), who had kumquats, oranges, and grapefruit. They bore fruit heavily the five years I lived next door. And yes, the Giant Swallowtail caterpillars were quite plentiful, too.

But citrus success would very much be an exception in that area.

• cindyabs

I got a lemon tree and peach tree this year. The lemon tree has been bearing (and continues to bear under it's blanket!!), the peach tree got some kind of white fungus and doesn't seem too perky.

• leylowe

We live in the Savannah area. I've not tried to grow citrus, but my neighbor has a key lime thriving in a pot on her patio. My dad grows kumquats in central Georgia, so I feel sure they'd grow here since we're usually a degree or so warmer.

• fgpratt_hotmail_com

I live on Wilmington Island and drove out to Tybee Island this morning to get a lemon tree cutting for my yard. There were fruit bearing oranges, tangerines, lemons, and grapefruit trees in his backyard so I'd say yes, they do grow here in the Savannah area.