Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oosul

brandywine tomatoe question

oosul
17 years ago

My brandywine tomatoes are just turning color from green to that pale reddish color.

How will I know when to pick them?

Should I wait until they are a certain color, or until they are fairly soft to touch?

Should I just wait a certain amount of days after they turn and stay a certain color?

This is my first time growing them and I have no clue what I

am doing and I dont want them to be under ripe or too over ripe and start rotting.

Comments (4)

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Look at the link below for a picture of a ripe Brandywine. Also, touch is not a bad idea. Once you've determined what is ripe, just once, you'll have no problem.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful:

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    17 years ago

The picture looks a bit on the reddish side for a Brandywine, which ripens pinkish purple most times for me.

When they do ripen to softness you may need to cut the stem to harvest the tomatoes. I've had many squash in my hand before the stem releases. But the flavor is best in my opinion if they are vine ripened.

• feldon30
    17 years ago

You can harvest a few days early if you are concerned about insects, birds, or overripening. You want quite a bit of pink or red (depending upon which Brandywine you have) to come up the sides of the fruit before picking.

I wait until the skin yields to pressure.

• ruthieg__tx
    17 years ago

After picking a few you will be able to tell which suits your taste better...I like mine ripe but still just a tad shy of full ripe...taste will tell you after you have tried a few.