Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

Winter cutting experiment

merkity
11 years ago

I tried my hand at starting some hibiscus cuttings this winter. This pic of the very dark green leaf is a small sliver of cutting that i just stuck in to see if it would root. It did surprisingly. I also managed to get roots started on a 4 in cutting - yay! now to try more and see how it goes...trying a slightly different method on a new batch.

Comments (5)

• merkity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is the slightly larger cutting that has taken root - not a lot of them yet, but its going.

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Merkity,
    I am very close to doing some serious pruning to get ready for spring blooms. Please pass along any info your experiments gain you. I will have the opportunity for cuttings on several on mine.
    Ed

• merkity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just repotted these two cuttings to make sure they were doing okay and I needed to change out their dirt. When I looked the roots have specifically come from the cuts I have made at the growth nodes. I am pretty sure i used some rooting hormone to help. and i kept them wet - not sitting in water, but definitely damp. I have heard that some cultivars root better than others. the two I rooted I think are my red double - ( can't be sure I didn't label them). I just started a pair of cuttings from my yellow butterfly, It had a couple branches that needed pruning. these two i have to keep outside due to aphid - so I guess we will see if they take.

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Merkity,
    Thanks for the update. I bought my rooting hormone a few months ago to get some plants to Darren. As I have family near and will be visiting this year, would you like some? Email me directly to see what plants fit the bill and arrange a future meeting. Again, thanks for the info.
    Ed

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

At the moment, Edward LaPlante and Mahogany Splender are ready, many more will be available when the weather warms up.

Darren

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!