Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balloonflower

New pressure canner accessories

balloonflower
9 years ago

I finally have the savings to go for a pressure canner. Getting the Presto 23qt based on previous posts. Also know from the posts that I need to get the weight set to use instead of the dial gauge, but that still leaves some left in the set aside budget. So, the question is: what else should I look at getting right now for extra ease in using or maintenance?

Extra seals, racks, etc. Will be doing lots of pints and half pints more than quarts.

Comments (8)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Are you planning to stack pints? I got the 23qt but wish I had gotten the 16qt instead (that comes with the weight set at Walmart). It's hard to get quarts out of the canner with my range hood - at least the large burners are in front, otherwise there's no way I could use the 23qt.

If you do plan on stacking pints, get the spare rack (unless you have an old one to use). I got the spare gasket (comes with overpressure plug) as well when I ordered the weight set. Ace had the best price on the parts, though I got the PC from Walmart online (came with a dozen pint jars, best price at that time - last Sept - for combo).

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Assuming you have been BWB canning and already have the jar lifter, lid magnet, funnel, etc. needed for it then the only other thing I can think of you might need is the extra rack for stacking jars. Set the rest of the money aside for buying jars and lids down the line. :)

I think you made an excellent choice in the canner you picked.

Dave

• dbrown2351
    9 years ago

Still using Mom's Presto canner from 1971. It has a few new parts but works great. Still have the original box and cook book. I did buy another one about 10 years ago to increase output, one cooking while the other is cooling. Both are 16 Qt.

• balloonflower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the input. I already went a bit crazy last weekend at Ace with $7 off a $20 purchase coupons stocking up on jars. Bugged a bunch of neighbors asking for their mailers, but am now a little ahead there for now. I do have all the other bwb accessories, but it's nice to know I can stack with this one. The tip about the spare is nice--may have access to Grandma's old Presto, but not in time to start canning soon. Included in this years's budget was an outdoor propane burner pair, so the height won't be a problem. Very excited to not have to can inside in August.

• myfamilysfarm
    9 years ago

I've been using heavy cookie sheets with towels on them to put the jars on AFTER removing from canner. It's been working well for me. I can move them carefully, several at a time, if I need to.

I would buy extra racks to be able to stack. I've stack 3 layers of 'jelly' jars (my mother is alone and can't really use a full pint).

I have several funnels and all the accessories. It seems like they walk away when I need them.

• jcpyburn
    9 years ago

Just curious, where did you purchase the weight set from? I am considering purchasing this pressure canner but I couldn't find the weight set on walmart.com.

Thanks!

Carly

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I got the weight set from Ace - think it's also available on Amazon. Of course Pressure Cooker Outlet would have it. You'd have to check around for the best price (just missed a sale at Ace).

I think Walmart had it when I ordered my Presto 23qt online, but it was more expensive through them. The 16qt sold at the B&M stores comes with the weight set.

• jcpyburn
    9 years ago

Thanks ajsmama! I am going to go look now!!

Carly