Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenspuds

Favorite Bearded Iris Rebloomers?

gardenspuds
14 years ago

I planted some irises last year, and am just starting to get blooms in my yard. I included several reblooming tall bearded iris, and am anxiously awaiting to see what they will do this year!

What are you favorite rebloomers, TB or others? I'm thinking about adding a few more to my collection this fall, and am hoping to add a few shorter rebloomers for the front of the bed.

Here's what I've planted, none have opened yet, although several have stalks already:

Mystery Blush, Rainy Falls, Dance for Joy, Total Recall, and Frost Echo.

Thanks!

Barbara

Comments (17)

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I have several reblooming iris, a few haven't really settled in yet. Right now my favorite is Earl of Essex, a very dependable rebloomer. Eleanor Roosevelt is an older type, nothing fancy but reblooms really well. Harvest of Memories is a great rebloomer. Belvi Queen, Feedback, & Iceland all rebloomed last year, their 2nd year in my garden.
    Total Recall is one I want, I dont think I've heard of the others you mentioned. I would go look them up, but then I'd probably just add them to my wish list :)

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    14 years ago

I would add that Winesap (dark wine red) and Rosalie Figge (very dark blue-purple) do well for me here in the Bay area.

Total Recall also does well, has a nice big flower. Breakers was the best blue rebloomer I used to grow.

Chad

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

I love rebloomers. Since California has year-round gardening (and gardening chores) I want some additional pay-off for all of that work, and reblooming irises are the jackpot!
    My favorite is Total Recall, but Frequent Flyer is gaining steam in my garden. I planted Mariposa Autumn last August, it bloomed in the Fall, and it is blooming its fool head off now. A real performer. I'm not crazy about the color, but it really works hard.
    Feedback was also planted and bloomed last fall. It is not a spectacular flower, but the color is so vivid that I will use it all over the garden. So far it is not very tall either, which makes it useful.
    Other shorter irises that have been bloomeriferous are Alice Goodman and Beverly Sills, similar looking peachy-pinks. My mom planted Violet Turner last fall and it bloomed immediately, and it's a stunner. It's short enough for the front of the border too.
    I used to grow Grandma's Purple Flag, which bloomed all year long. It reproduced so rapidly, though, that I could not keep up with dividing it and so it went to the neighbor's. It is very short.

I'm off to look up Winesap.
    Renee

• kprp
    13 years ago

Total Recall is a strong rebloomer in my garden.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Autumn Tryst is my first iris to bloom, and always reblooms at least once, and sometimes twice.
    kay

• linlily
    13 years ago

If you are looking for a shorter iris, definitely try IB Fast Forward. Its very vigorous and always reblooms for me in my zone. Lo Ho Silver, another IB is good for two blooms a year. If you like the really smaller ones, I can highly recommend SDBs Plum Wine, Baby Boom, Baby Blessed. I've had these for some time and they are good for two blooming seasons every year.

Linda

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Just got home from the San Fernando Valley Iris Society sale. I got Recurring Dream, Amethyst Winter, and... Winesap! Thanks for the tip, Chad.

They are having their rebloomer sale next month. I plan on coming home with too many irises.
    Renee

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

Baby Blessed reblooms everywhere, doesn't it? Last year I grew it in a 12" pot so I could take the pot to the MVIS iris sale in Sept. It had 2 blooms. This was the first year I can remember that we sold all the Baby Blessed that were there. This year I am trying Devil Baby in a pot to see if I can get this z9 rebloomer to rebloom for me.

• mombo
    13 years ago

I have several rebloomers including some that were mentioned. The most beautiful one this year has to be Las Vegas. Rather unusual color combo (beige and mauve) but there must have been over 25 blooms at one time and it looked like a huge bouquet of flowers. It really made a statement in the garden. I did get some pictures but my new digital camera is really a pain in the you know what and posting pictures is above my current level of expertise. SIGH!!

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Where are you all buying Reblooming Iris?

• gardenspuds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've bought rhizomes from Nola's Iris Garden (Prevost Ranch)in San Jose. The rhizomes were large and they threw in a few extras (not rebloomers though). I haven't been there in person, but they have a huge selection of rebloomers on their website.

This year I went in person to Napa County Iris Garden. Lovely gardens, I brought home two potted plants. I ordered a few rhizomes that will be coming this fall- the potted plants were nice, I'm curious to see how the rhizomes are. They don't have as large of a selection of rebloomers that Nola's does, but there are a few different varieties.

• mooseling
    13 years ago

I think I've only ever had one Iris rebloom, and it was an unknown variety. Rebloomers aren't very reliable here, but I did order Midsummer Night's Dream from someone local who says it's a good rebloomer. I believe it's an intermediate. So I'm going to try it and see. First time I've ordered a rebloomer. I'm sure I've got some others, but I didn't buy them because they rebloom. I simply don't expect most things to ever do so here.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I get mine all over the place. Blue J, Cooley's, Schreiner's, Wild Iris Rows. Many online sellers have a way to limit your search to rebloomers. I also recommend the Reblooming Iris Society web page.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Reblooming Iris Society Gallery of TBs

• garden_fever_girl
    13 years ago

I have Baby Blessed and it will rebloom pretty consistently for me! Lovely little burst of yellow! Even in CO. And I adore my Orange Popsicle--it doesn't rebloom here -- but it is fantastically bright and colorful--definately has some WOW factor--Huge blooms too. Also -- for a beautiful true pink, you can't beat Rebecca. Immortality is another favorite. Very pretty!

• madeyna
    13 years ago

Summer Olympics hasn,t repoduced well but its a consistant rebloomer for me and Boutiful Harvest boomed its head off until this spring when after 4 months of record rainfall I lost more than half my iris to rot. Almost all my iris come from Shreiners. About the only iris not to get it where the older ones.

• ketaki_orchid
    12 years ago

I got some bulbs with lot of foliage after them bloom. I have planted them but will they rebloom?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Only if they have the genetics to rebloom. Most irises bloom once in the spring. If you know the names of the irises you got, we can tell you if they are reblooming irises. If you don't, you'll have to wait and see if they bloom in both spring and fall.
    Renee