Lenh
20 years ago

Hi Glen

Please check back to the acer stratification heading on this forum

Len

Comments (3)

• glen3a
    20 years ago

Thanks for the links to the articles Len.

Nothing really to report with my Acer Pseudosieboldianum (Korean Maple) seeds. They are currently in the fridge and have been since mid-February.

How long do you think they should remain in the fridge? Should they stay in the cold until they sprout, or should I remove them and plant in warm soil after a certain time frame, perhaps 90 days? Last year I did the latter with Japanese Maple seeds and only one sprouted. Still, I would be happy if even a couple sprout.

I am also trying to stratify devil's walking stick seeds (aralia spinosa) and magnolia tripetela (umbrella magnolia). When I bought the magnolia seeds, the website said they need cold stratification. When I received them in the mail, they gave more detailed directions saying that this type of magnolia needs to go through 3 periods of cold and warm before they will sprout. All other sites I read say a single period of cold followed by warm will be enough, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

How did your seeds do?

Regards,
    Glen

• Lenh
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Glen
    So far no germination, but I have just bought some seeds from jacky'seeds that are said to have been stratified already,they arrived at the end of feb and they told me to leave in the fridge until the end of March
    ,no sign of germination in the fridge so I have just sown them yestaerday in 20deg in the conservatory.
    I will let you know how they get on.
    I have now gone on to a different track. It is said that Acer cuttings cannot be germinated successfuly. Through a web site in the States I am now told it is because the rooting compound I am using is #1 and this is not satisfactoryI should be using either Hormonin#3 or Seradix#3
    I have spent the last week every day trying to purchase either of these two in the UK without any success.
    My son has just ordered me some Hormodin#3 from the States,I dont know if or when I will get it.
    I am told that that particular rooting compound will get a high percentage of germination,if so obviously better than seed and true to variety which seed cannot do
    I will keep you posted how I get on
    Best wishes
    Len

• ltruett
    16 years ago

I know this is an old thread but was there any luck germinating Acer pseudosieboldianum?

Sponsored