Software
Houzz Logo Print
lacunosa

How to build reflector for HPS light?

20 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum.

Recently I bought one of those Gavita 600W bulbs w/ the built-in reflector. I checked with the light meter and it seems that most of the light is being dispersed out to the sides. Right near the light there is 8,500 and even up to 15,000 fc 6 inches away. But even a foot out or down the light drops off way too fast. It didn't drop off so fast w/ my other light (a 400W Hydrofarm system). It seems to me that a broader reflector would help. But I don't want to buy anything else.

My goal was to have an area at least 4x4 ft directly beneath lamp that gets about 5,000 fc. (the light puts out 98,000 lumens I think). Reading the literature I thought that was possible w/ a 600W lamp, but I am not getting that and, as I'm kind of a disaster at math, have been unable to do the calculations to figure exactly what I should be getting.

I've read some of the posts on making reflectors out of circular metal vent material for fluorescents, but I don't know if they will spread out enough or be wide enough for what I need.

I've also read it's possible to make a reflector out of aluminum foil, but I don't know exactly how to do it.

If anyone has suggestions on how I can build a reflector for this light I would be very grateful. Thank you for any advice or thoughts. I'm kind of groping in the dark right now.

Comments (6)

  • 20 years ago

    Reflectors are made of specular aluminum, which you can buy from a sheet metal company. You should be able to find one who can get the material and fabricate a reflector for you. I think the specular (reflective) surface tends to crack when the metal is bent, so they should buy a little extra and experiment with the best way to bend or fasten it. Or to save money you could just buy the sheets, drill a few holes, and use separate strips of metal to fasten them.

    It might be more practical to just have reflective grow-room walls, perhaps lined with mylar or Foylon, and let them distribute the light for you. I lined a room divider with Foylon to pull in light that otherwise would have been scattered around the room.

  • 20 years ago

    That bulb doesn't really require a reflector...But if you still wanted to use one I'd opt for a store bought. They will be much better, IMO......

    Good Luck.

  • 20 years ago

    Lacunosa, what are you trying to grow?

    Have a 600W Gavita over a space about 7' x 9'. I can see that the light is really dispersed, but have a plumeria in bloom with another one coming, a blooming passiflora, and brugmansias also growing well toward blooming. Have other things that are burning from too much light. Really need all this space rather than 4' x 4'.

    The white walls reflect a lot of light, so that must help. The relective material on the walls suggested by nygardener sounds like a good idea. Would increase your growing space, and we all need more of that.

  • 20 years ago

    I have just finished a green, leaning against the house, and here are the relevant details:
    1) 2 sides are exposed, one wall and the rooft, and I use twin-wall polycarbondate sheets.
    2) The remaining walls are bricks.
    3) Location: southeast; shaded on top; but winter sun will shine at an angle.
    4) Size: 14 feet x 6 feet deep x 8 feet height.
    5) I am thinking of using 1000 watts high pressure sodium to supplement the sunlight. About 100 days in a year are either cloudy or rainy, hence no sun.
    6) Purpose: mostly orchids - about 100 of them; how I have a few tropical plants: kafir lime, lemon grass, hot thai chilli, and may add a few leafy stuff. But orchids are my main concern.
    I have no experience with lights. Can anyone suggest some good reliable sources for certain models that I should be looking for?
    I am in no rush since I won't need light until the autumn. I am planning ahead. Any relevant suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    I am leaning toward high pressure sodium instead of Halide; or I can go with switchable one. Am I on a right track?

    Thanks for your help.

  • 20 years ago

    P.S.
    I have posted the above message in error.
    I forget how to delete it. My apology.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner