Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_minnie

seed potatoes nearer MN

little_minnie
12 years ago

I need about 100# of seed potatoes this year. If I get them locally that means I can choose from maybe 5 varieties. But if I order from Fedco again the shipping is over $40. Does anyone know a company closer or who has lower shipping rates? I want to grow Viking Purple, Rose Finn Apple, Cranberry/Adirondack Red, and Keuka Gold, along with locally bought Red Norland.

Comments (5)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

I checked shipping at Irish Eyes and it would be around $40.00 for 50 lbs. so no help there sorry. Maybe you can call some nurseries and see if they will be stocking at least some of the varieties you want.

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    12 years ago

Following your info, I finally found a source for Anoka potato at Ronnigers in Col. If any of you are looking for a delightful surprise, try the Anoka. I used to be able to get the seed potato at Farmers seed in Golden Valley a long long time ago and thought I would never find them again.
    I just hope the shipping cost isn't too great for 10 lbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronniger Potato Farm

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ronnigers is ok but still high shipping. Fedco is great but high shipping from Maine. There must be a better option locally.

• soilent_green
    12 years ago

My only solution has been to grow locally available common varieties for my main crop while purchasing small quantities of the less common stuff and growing them out for seed until I have the quantities I want. Works great but obviously takes a few years.

I coordinate with two other people so we purchase and grow out different varieties, then swap seed 'taters in fall. This helps quite a bit - get three new varieties each season for the cost and effort of growing one. :-)

Yeah, those shipping costs are a killer and will only be going higher...not to mention the damage that can happen in transit. I have only had bad experiences having large quantities shipped to me and will never do it again.

• little_minnie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't saved seed in 2 years because of scab and basically last year the scab wasn't bad but I didn't have enough to save- the CSAs got all the taters LOL.
    Maybe I will be able to save my own seed again this year. That would be great!

I ordered 2 days ago from Moose Tubers/Fedco since I couldn't find anyone cheaper. I bought 50# for $81 including 10# fingerlings. They were out of the one variety I wanted already. Shipping was $34.50 but I do trust their product. I will buy 40-50 more pounds locally.

FYI Yukon Gold is the only gold locally available but is known for poor yields. Keuka Gold is what I order and university tests show it is 33% more productive than Yukon. So I figure that is worth the shipping cost. My yield per square foot is important to me.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor