Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Paperbark Maple Grove Question

marcindy
13 years ago

I am going to cut down the last mature Norway maple in my yard. In it's place I want to plant nine paperbark maples that are currently in holding beds. They were originally destined to become a bonsai grove, but now that I have this unexpected place to plant the real thing I would like to create a natural looking and feeling grove with these trees. How far apart would you plant the trees? They are currently about 6ft tall and still fairly easy to move. There is some height and size difference to them, so they naturally lend themselves to be placed interior versus perimeter. Any thoughts? I envision two groups with a small path going through for wandering and thinking and admiring the trees, and whatever underplanting I end up with.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (4)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

When I think grove, I think trunks and canopy and Acer griseum may need the secondary trunks limbed up for that look. The crown can vary from tree to tree. To get an idea, hit the link. Be sure to hit "next" to step through the pix.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Griseum goves

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

marcindy, I love the fellas, just planted my first this year.

How large an area you looking to fill with this?

Am I near right in guessing 30x40 or so assuming it was a big Norway Maple you removed.

In the grove/thicket of trees in my back yard there are walnuts and ash trees growing VERY close together. Perhaps a group of three walnuts 4 feet from eachother and one ash about 8 from that. Too close? Sure for most yards, but the walnuts might be 40 foot tall and the ash is 25 foot and catching up quick. Just depends on the look you want.

• marcindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas and the link to my original question. One of the pictures shows a group of three paperbarks in a bed with groundcovers. That is probably close to what I had in mind. The area I have is about 15 to 20 feet long and about 12 to 15 wide, mostly sun, some shade from about 2pm on.

I have this idea of creating a "modern" looking bed with maybe one or two plants planted in mass around the three or so paperbark maples. You know the look that you often find outside modern art museum buildings, or the "new European" look. Lot's of grasses of one or two kinds, maybe some globe alliums poking through a mass of those grasses, or maybe a gayfeather here an there poking through a "sea" of grasses with their seed heads creating this fuzzy look. Than in the fall the grasses turn a golden color to complement the changing colors of the maple. Does that make sense? I am looking for a grass that, planted in mass, creates this fuzzy look, something no taller than 2ft. And out of that mass of fuzzy seed heads and fine grass blades grow the papery trunks of the maples. Cinnamon colored trunks surrounded by greenish golden grasses. Does that make sense? I have this vague image in my mind how it could look, but I haven't found the right plants yet.

Another option I considered was an under-planting of large leaved "yellow" leaved hostas next to a large group of calamint. Just random ideas so far.

Oh, I also plan to keep the lower trunks of the maples clear of branches so they develop into straight trunks for about three to four feet above the ground.

• designt
    5 years ago

Marcindy, did you ever complete this landscape project? Sounds like exactly what I am wanting for a project of mine. Do you have photos of what it started out and currently? Would love if you would share.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting