Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Swaps in Montgomery County

karyn1
17 years ago

Are there any swaps or anything like that coming up in Montgomery County, MD? I saw the post about the pot luck next month in Temple Hills. It sounds like fun but that's a bit too far for me.

Karyn

Comments (21)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

For the past two years, the Spring swap has been held at Burtonsville, MD, which is in Montgomery county, I believe. No guarantees that's where it will be next time around, though.

Whether it is a trek or not, I can assure you that it is great fun. Good plants, good food, and good people.

Suja

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm in Cloverly and Burtonsville is about 10 minutes from me. I hope they have it again. If it's going to happen will info be posted here?

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Oh yeah. Come February/March, we'll start threads with general information on the swap, and also separate threads for 'Haves' (what plants/plant related items you have), 'Wants' (plants/plant related items you want) and 'Food'. If someone has something you want, you let them know, by email. Anything that is not spoken for is basically up for grabs. The details will be posted as we get closer to the swap date.

Suja

• gardengranma
    17 years ago

As I mentioned earlier, Burtonsville Spring Swap at Granma's house can take place again if everyone wants it. Just tell me when, and I'll get ready. Can someone else do the organizing regarding haves and wants? We thought we'd sell the house buts once we got into it and looked at the Eastern Shore, it became clear there was no real benefit. So we sold the meadow (sigh!) to a really nice family with a landscaping business. I also found out that DH really doesn't like to garden -- that was the reasons he wanted to move. Ha! So we'll compromise, he'll mowe and I'll hire someone to help with the weeding and mulching. No more thoughts of moving for me (I'd hate to leave the garden, anyway.) Any thoughts?

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

YEAH!!! Henrietta!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'll come. When? I'll help you get ready, if you'd like. Just say the words!

Hey all, can we make this not on the Greensprings weekend? I'd love to try that sale.
    But I bow to concensus. :)

C.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Henrietta, I'm selfishly happy that you didn't move :-)

So, How about the week-end before Mother's Day? We tried to make that a tradition at some point. That would be Saturday May 5th. There are lots of Plant Sales in May, but there's only one MIDA GW Swap :-)

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

I don't know if Green Spring has announced the sale date yet, but it's usually mid/late-May. Last year it was on the 20th and I'd predict the same weekend for this year. I'm all for either the Mother's Day weekend or the weekend before. If it's either of the last 2 May weekends we'd have to miss it.

Larry

• gardenpaws_VA
    17 years ago

I haven't found a Green Spring date, but the sale at Ginter is the first weekend in May. On the other hand, it appears to be a 3-day affair.

• annebert
    17 years ago

I vote for May 5.

Henrietta, so glad to hear you want to host.

And keeping my fingers crossed that Vlad will make it.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So how exactly do plant swaps work? I've never been to a swap of any kind. I hope I'm able to come. It depends on when we set up the plant sale at my daughter's school. It's normally the on the weekend before Mother's Day and we supply all the plants so I'm busy loading and unloading a truck all day. Hopefully the swap will be on a Sat. We try to do the school fund raiser on a Sun. If the day works out for me I'd be happy to help. I live very close, in Cloverly. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.
    Karyn

• mirka_g
    17 years ago

I am not positive but I think Green Springs is the weekend before Memorial Day. I belong to NARGS and our swap is generally scheduled Memorial Weekend Sat so that the extras from the Greenspring sale can be added to our exchange

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

You live in Cloverly and Temple Hills was too far?
    You new to the area?
    C.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've been here for 43 years. I like my Montgomery County comfort zone. lol I don't even know where Temple Hills is, PG Co maybe? If it's ouside of DC, Mont, or Howard Co I'm lost except for U of MD and the Eastern Shore.

• gardengranma
    17 years ago

Hi everyone: You'all (pretty southern sounding for someone from across the ocean originally) figure out when you want to have the swap and I'll get ready. Yes, Christine, it would be great if you help a little (or a lot, given all your wonderful energy). If there are any issues where to hold it, I leave it up to all of you. Love to have you here, though.

Re Vlad, I hope to visit him in the next couple of weeks. He is such a sweet, gentle, and generous soul, he needs all of our love right now.

• lynnt
    17 years ago

Some dates to track:
    The Green Springs sale is May 19th.

The William Paca House sale in Annapolis ($3 heirloom plants, anyone? Cardoons? Heirloom tomatoes? Caraculla vine?) is Mother's Day weekend, May 13th; I try to get there by 9 AM for its 10:00 opening.

It's also worth looking out for the American Horticulture Society sale at River Farm, April 22.

I haven't bothered with the National Arboretum sale the past few years -- expensive and few things to rave about...

LynnT

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

I could use some new green springs for my mattress. However, if you're looking for plants, the Green Spring sale is also on the 19th:)

That's like people asking where Silver Springs, MD is. They ought to be looking in Florida.

Larry

• avoirgold
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, I will be on travel for work for the first two weekends in May. :-(

However, DH has tentatively agreed to carry out any swaps I arrange. I think there is a limit as to how much he will do though. :-) So count my DH in for me!

Oh, remember I am still new to this...What/where is the Green Springs sale?

Jen

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Karen,
    Temple Hills is about 10 minutes south of you, just for reference.

Christine

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Christine Temple Hills is around the beltway past Fed Ex Field, more like 45 min to an hour away.
    Karyn

• collectordi
    17 years ago

Avoirgold, Green Spring Garden Park is in Alexandria VA off Little River Turnpike just past Annandale. It is a Fairfax County Park that used to be someone's home and farm. Now it has a visitor center and lots of gardens and is a nice place to visit anytime the weather is decent. In May they have a big sale with lots plants brought by various garden clubs and vendors. The selection is very good and the prices aren't bad either. My sister comes down from Boston and she and my mom and I go every year. It's lots of fun for plant addicts. If I see a plant in a catalog or online that I think I want I look for it at Green Spring and the price is usually lower and there's no shipping cost. Between that and the MAG swaps I generally get all the plants I can handle. Ok, maybe more than I can handle sometimes.

• redcat72
    17 years ago

Is Sunday an option for the swap, or just Saturdays? I went to the swap a couple of years ago - it was a blast! GardenGranma has a fantastic garden, and extended her wonderful hospitality to our huge group. Couldn't make it last year because I had to work. :-( Looking forward to this year!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz