Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter4_gw

Daffodils-Narcissus

peter4
18 years ago

I've read and heard that daffodils and/or narcissus are deer-resistant. Am I right to assume that the deer do not like these plants? Or will these plants keep the deer out of my garden? They are really a problem and we've tried everything - human hair, hot pepper seeds, soap, tin plants hanging all over the place, music all night, etc. etc. etc.

Comments (6)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

:) yes, they really are. won't even nibble on them-

and I can understand why. they taste mildly nasty (not to mention that they will upset your tummy something awful)

we have to restrict tulips to our courtyard, where we have drifts of daffs planted out by the driveway, and I'm the only one who ever molests them :)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

I've been told that if they are starving, the deer *will* eat daffies, but I personally don't know anyone who ever lost daffies to deer. The daffies may remain un-nibbled, but in general they don't protect your yard from invaders. However, as chinacat mentions, closely interplanting them with bulbs that in growth during the same period as the daffies, does help deter the deer from nibbling the tulips, hyacinths, or whatever.

My DB lives adjoining a national park (and he swears the deer use his garden as a throughway) found the only way to protect his garden and orchard was with a 10' high *invisble* deer net in combination with a ground-level angled spread of net on the outer side of the fencing.

Here is a link that might be useful: deer fencing

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Peter4...you are in a battle that many people around the country battle, as well. Unfortunately, the methods you've mentioned are all those that simply won't work when the deer pressure is severe. You need to look into the world of commercial repellents, many of which work extremely well, or a fencing alternative.

Use Google as your search engine and type in the words " deer repellent" to begin your research. Don't hesitate on this, Peter4. With intelligent plant choices and the regular use of an effective commercial product, you can once again begin to enjoy your landscape.

Daffodils (et al) won't keep the deer out of your area. They are simply one of the many plants that they won't eat, unless desperate. And get rid of your pie pans, hair balls, and soap bars. Deer have WAY become educated about those home remedies.

• sresutek
    18 years ago

I fight the deer all the time. The BEST best methods are dogs that stay out at night (ours don't) or a high fence. But since I have neither, the best method I've found is Liquid Fence. Smells like rotten eggs when you spray it, but I don't smell it walking around my yard. The only bad thing - you have to reapply when it rains.

Oh and they eat "poisonous" plants - they ate my daff's (the flower) and they eat my carolina jessamine. I'm still planting daff's, but I will spray with the liquid fence as add'l protection.

• peter4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Read all the answers and I thank all of you. Sarah TX, can you tell me where you can purchase some of this Liquid Fence? Sounds like it might be right up my alley!!!! The invisible deer net also sounds interesting. I'm not really worried about enjoying my landscape as much as I am in stopping these critters from eating everything from my hostas, morning glories (they even came up on our deck to get those), tomato plants (not the tomatos) and believe it or not, jalapeno pepper plants and the peppers!!!!! Thanks to you all again!!! I'll let everyone know when and if I find a solution.

• sresutek
    18 years ago

Home Depot - I buy the concentrate version for $30. It's in the section with the ant killer. Ask a sales associate if you don't see it - it's in a white bottle with a green/yellow label. If they don't sell it, do a google search online & try to buy that way.
    I have to warn you - it has clogged every spray bottle I've bought. My DH is lettingme use his pump sprayer thing and it's so easy!! Just clean it out b/tw uses.