Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Help me name this hosta

donrawson
13 years ago

All-blue sport of Rhino Hide. The leaves measure an incredible .019" thick, making it the thickest blue-leaved hosta! Leaves should become heavily puckered and cupped.

Help me think of a good name that reflects its unusually thick substance. Hopefully a name that is related to the word "Rhino" or "Hide". I was planning to name it Gator Hide, but that name was denied, since there already is a hosta registered as Alligator Hide.

{{gwi:1072927}}

Comments (27)

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Elephant Hide
    Hide & Seek
    Thick Skinned
    Hippo Hide
    Rhino with the Blues
    Hide the Rhino

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

frank stole a couple of my ideas ....

rhino's horn

blue rhino

ken

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Rhino Got the Blues
    Rhino Charge
    Rhino Attack

Paul

• User
    13 years ago

Rhino Rind
    Blue Whale Hide
    Rhino's Cup

• anitamo
    13 years ago

Don's Hide
    Don's Blue Rhino
    Blue Rhino (I second this...didn't even see that Ken had it)
    Rhino Blues

• donrawson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What do you think of any of these?

Rhino Blue
    Dragon Hide
    Blue Rawhide
    Croc Skin
    Blue Buckskin
    Blue Cowhide
    Gator Skin
    Ox Hide
    Blue Ox Hide

• gardengirl_nancy
    13 years ago

I vote for Rhino Blue.

• hostapumpkinman
    13 years ago

Gator Skin and Dragon Hide are good.Blue Ox Hide is my favorite.Here are some more suggestions:
    Blue Armour
    Rhino Armour
    Rhino Sings The Blues
    Rhino Sandberg
    Phil

• User
    13 years ago

I like Blue Ox Hide, too. Or, you could just call it "Babe." ;-)

• conel946
    13 years ago

I vote for Rhino Blue

• talynnp
    13 years ago

How about.......

Raw Hide

Tanya

• ctopher_mi
    13 years ago

Why do we have to skin all of these animals? Especially endangered ones? How about naming it Rhino Rescue, especially since solid TC mutations are often just culled out and thrown away ;)

• Janice
    13 years ago

Rhino Plasty? ;>)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

garden web blue???

don's insanity

how to move rocks blue

i have a list for this blue

how about: ROTFLMBO Blue

ken

• aka_margo
    13 years ago

Leathered Hide

• greenthumbz4mn
    13 years ago

RHINO BLUE--perfect name. Mary

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

Rhino Plasty - interesting - makes me smile.

Blue Rhino - meets the stated criteria best.

bkay

• countrygarden01
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I agree w/ Chris. I am sure it "maybe" a nice blue. I feel over anticipation of a "mutation" in tissue culture. It was inevidible; and I imagine there are quite a few.

You already have the blue sports from the original plant. What were they named?

How similar will it be to a 'Love Pat'?

Is someone purchasing all the "culls" to be in their catalog soon?

In my observation, the previous pictures I have seen from you have shown alot of blues you culled or seperated from the original plant. It would seem we also will enevitably have them w/o needing a special name.

'Don's Rescue'; no offense.

I would give clear credit, had these discoveries came from intential hybrid crosses.

• donrawson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your input. You've suggested many good names!

In reply to country garden,

I feel over anticipation of a "mutation" in tissue culture. It was inevidible; and I imagine there are quite a few. Yes, there are some mutations which have occurred in the tc process. Some of these are currently under evaluation.

You already have the blue sports from the original plant. What were they named? No, the original plant has never produced a mutation. It has remained stable for the past 10 years and has never sported.

How similar will it be to a 'Love Pat'? Rhino Hide is distinct and different than Love Pat in several aspects. I do not think the all-blue form of Rhino Hide will look very much like Love Pat at all.

Is someone purchasing all the "culls" to be in their catalog soon? No.

In my observation, the previous pictures I have seen from you have shown a lot of blues you culled or seperated from the original plant. I have never posted any pics of any sports from Rhino Hide, except for the one I just took for this posting.

'Don's Rescue'; no offense. No offense taken, but that's not a very catchy name! :)

I would give clear credit, had these discoveries came from intential hybrid crosses. The plant in the pic above is a tc sport, not a hybrid cross. Nevertheless, it has great substance and I have hopes that it will be a very attractive, slug-resistant hosta.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

I think you should avoid a name that starts with "Blue" simply because there are so many already. I say this even though Ken's "Blue Rhino" is the logical choice.

My favorites from above:

Rhino Blue
    Rhino Blues
    Rhino Sings The Blues
    Rhino Rescue

• ninamarie
    13 years ago

Rhino Cub
    Blue Rhino Cub
    Crash of Rhinos
    - 1970. -Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

I vote for Rhino Plasty - what a laugh! No one would ever forget it.

Second choice is Rhino Sings the Blues. It seems more distinctive than Blue Rhino or Rhino Blue.

ps. I also agree with Chris (ctopher_mi) regarding sport hunting or killing in general - disgusting!

• jel48
    13 years ago

I like the Rhino Blue and some of the other names above, but if you want to use Hide in the name and still avoid killing off all those imaginary animals, how about Iron Hide?

• airplaneantonym
    13 years ago

I like Hide & Seek, though it'd only make sense for me as an homage to Imogen Heap's song.

• i-like-to-grow
    13 years ago

I'm going a different route since most people have already given lots of names involving Rhino and Hide...

Since its supposed to be super tough....I say name it

Plate Mail
    or
    Dragon Scale Armor
    or perhaps
    Adamantium
    maybe
    Mithril

Besides being a gardening junkie I also get a kick out of fantasy based entertainment... grew up on 2nd edition D&D and was soon addicted to MMORPG's primarily EQ and EQ2...
    WOW sucks lol.... Adamantium is a reference to Wolverines adamantium skeleton which is super strong and gives him regenerative power... lol... Mithril is the metal that Frodo Baggins(LOTR)shirt was made of...then one that Bilbo wore as well in the Hobbit....

I would be interested to hear some comments on these lol

Thanks
    John

• i-like-to-grow
    13 years ago

or perhaps lol... George Lucas would be nice and not sue you...

You could name it...

Chewbacca lol
    Jedi Mind Trick lol
    or some references to its strength

Forceshield
    Mandalorian Battle Armor(Boba Fett's Armor)

Lol I know I know... what kinda freak knows the name of Boba Fett's armor... call it like you see it =P

Thanks,
    John

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    13 years ago

I like the direction of John's thinking. How about:

Blue Knight

Steve