Software
Houzz Logo Print
jequila_gw

Raspberry leaves dying

12 years ago

It's Summer here (Australia) and my Raspberry is just starting to flower. Unfortunately, all of it's leaves are dying at the same time! This has actually been going on for a while now. At first I thought I wasn't watering enough, then when that didn't help I thought I was watering too much. Less or more water doesn't seem to help.
The dead leaves start at the bottom and work their way up, though some of the higher leaves dry up too. I dug up one of the little shoots that popped up after it started to look sick too, and it's roots seemed fine. I also can't see any bugs. Please help! :( I've untied it so you can see most of the damage.

Comments (7)

  • 12 years ago

    One guess is that they''re running short of water.

  • 12 years ago

    I've tried more water, it didn't help.
    They don't actually start by wilting, it's like they get bits of brown on them and they turn yellow. Then they just die and turn totally brown.

  • 12 years ago

    Um, brown between the leaf veins indicates they were short of water during a sudden heat wave.

    And/or reflected heat from the walls behind the plant.

    Think back. When might that have occurred?

    Oh yes. Brown leaves won't return to green, is that what you were hoping?.

  • 12 years ago

    I've tried watering everywhere from twice a week to once a day, and more water hasn't helped yet. I don't expect the brown leaves to recover, but it would be nice if the new leaves didn't start going brown too.
    Maybe it's the wall, I'll check it tomorrow in the heat of the day to see if it's hot.

  • 12 years ago

    raspberry is a weird plant ... sort of a biennial perennial ...

    you dont mention your type ... everbearing.. meaning summer and fall ... or just summer????

    but on mine ... canes winter over.. and bear in early spring.. then that cane dies in mid summer, and new ones come up that bloom in late fall.. and then again next spring ... its an endless vicious cycle ... requiring me to remove the old declining canes to near the ground ...

    frankly.. yours is what overly mature bramble looks like ... is there any indication of new shoots coming from the soil ... other than the one you already broke off???

    is the wall south facing.... and direct sun.. especially in the heat of the day ...

    did they bear this year??

    there is a fruit forum ... not that we dont love you.. but those fruit peeps can be a bit odd at times.. lol.. and i have never seen any of those experts here ..

    bramble is not what i would NOT call and easy plant to live in a pot for the long run ... though on the other hand.. near impossible to kill ... though it can look ratty at times during the growing season ...

    ken

  • 12 years ago

    With raspberry,another thing that can do that to the fruiting canes is root rot from excessive moisture at the roots. Any chance of that?

  • 12 years ago

    It fruits in late summer (now) then I cut the old canes off for winter. Those sick looking canes are starting to flower right now. That wall gets morning sun until about 10-11am.

    As for root rot, I was worried about that but the roots look fine. Nice and white, not black and gross.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting