Software
Houzz Logo Print
wodka

Mosquito/gnats ('no see um's') pest control

17 years ago

We just moved into our home a little over a year ago. The favorite part of our house is the outdoor patio/fireplace/kitchen. We are on a golf course and the "rough"/woods is behind our backyard. We had family in town for Easter weekend and the weather was so nice we decided to sit outside for the evening. One night it wasn't too bad, but the next we could only sit out for a few minutes before being attacked and bitten. It was horrible and we had to come inside. I've quit wearing perfume and anything scented, but I still am their favorite target.

We're considering the mosquito misting system. Do any of you have one or any ideas about it? I would be interested to hear what you have to say, because I've heard it's rather costly, plus I don't want to kill off all of the wildlife. However, I would like to be able to enjoy our outdoors, especially now before it gets too hot and humid.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments (20)

  • 17 years ago

    wodka,

    I tend to agree with kimmsr that zappers and citronella candles are not a solution. The WebMD mosquito repellents article is pretty good. Repellents like the old DEET and the newer Picaridin are fairly effective, although they can be somewhat unpleasant to apply. I have used the Off Repellent Lanterns to keep the mosquitoes at bay while working in the garden, and they work fairly well, but are expensive to use because the refills cost quite a bit.

    Mosquito traps like the Mosquito Magnets can be effective, but they can be very expensive, particularly if you need several of them. There are several brands of mosquito traps. The traps are not necessarily a panacea.

    I agree with Kimmsr that screening a sitting area may be your best option. You could screen a patio, porch, or have a screened gazebo.

    Actually, I am a little surprised that the golf course doesn't fog their golf course.

    ZM

  • 17 years ago

    I will probably try the ThermoCell product this Summer. I heard that the Army used it in Iraq.

    ZM

  • 17 years ago

    Keep in mind that the ThermoCell products spray a broad spectrum poison that will kill any insect it contacts as well as mosquitoes. Killing off the beneficial insects along with the pesty insects means that there can be even more pests around because the natural controls no longer exist. Spraying broad spectrum poisons around aloso means the birds, that could aid in mosquito control, might also be killed off.

  • 17 years ago

    I entirely sympathize with you!

    wodka, those automatic pesticide misting systems are an absolutely horrible thing to introduce to your location. The pesticide used, which they will claim is perfectly SAFE, is a broad spectrum insecticide (a pyrethrin) that will effect non-target animals of all kinds.

    This family of pesticides is most deadly to aquatic life, but is a serious problem for amphibians and reptiles, as well. Birds can be affected directly, or by ingesting insects or animals that have been killed by pyrethrins.

    Though considered less of a problem for mammals, chronic exposure (such as what you would be experiencing) can cause serious health issues. Pets are susceptible to problems.

    Those HUMAN animals most sensitive would be the young and old, anyone taking one of the vast majority of medications that can affect the liver, anyone with an impaired liver function, those who may be ill, and anyone exposed to pesticides or chemicals that may affect the nervous system on a regular basis. Frankly, that covers pretty much all of us.

    I lived on a gnat, mosquito, no-seeum location for over 20 years, also zone 8b and an environment rife with golf course communities (Beaufort/Hilton Head). I always wondered how the Realtors managed to sell property at all! Frankly, there isn't anything you can do to eradicate the darned things. Your best bet will be to find some good repellents that you can tolerate and learn to live with them.

    My much beloved former community regularly doused the entire area with pyrethrins and malathion (ULV) from fogging trucks as well as the dreaded airplane. It never did one bit of good in controlling the pests.

    I cannot use the repellents with DEET, but discovered a natural product at one of the pro-shops down there (Beaufort County) It was called, as I recall, Pest-Off Mosquito Frustragent, or something like that. It worked like a charm for me.

    You can also try outdoor fans. They make some very attractive models these days. Over head fans might not do the trick, but a standing model can be helpful.

    I live in a gnat-free zone now, and I can still hardly believe it. ;-)

  • 17 years ago

    A small question. The topic states mosquito/gnats? Have you seen what is biting you? It could be something different like fleas or other pests that could be taken care of without killing the world.

  • 17 years ago

    I'd say that we go with wodka on the identity of these insects. In many parts of the country (coastal, in particular, but could be in any environment with a lot of water) biting gnats and the smaller 'no see-ums' are extremely common and just as annoying.

    Those teensy biting midges are very common to salt marshes, but are also found in areas where lakes, rivers, and ponds are plentiful.

    Perhaps wodka will let us know where he/she is from?

  • 17 years ago

    Hackberry cylids are called no see-ums in some areas and as you pointed out midges are also. Midges can be kept out by a woven screen the cylids can pass right through the screen.

    Since you can buy bed nets with anti-pest chemicals in them it may also be possible that a screened area could be set up using this type of material. However if they are the cylids anything is a waste of time. They look like little black dots that flash their wings and depending on section of county would be about the size of two-three periods set end to end.

  • 17 years ago

    The hackberry psyllids (correct spelling), though pesky, have nada on the biting gnats and midges (no see-ums), which require a fresh BLOOD meal. That's the problem that our now missing original poster was complaining about.

    They seem especially interested in ears, noses, and scalps. Which makes them, as you can imagine, a real JOY to be around, lol!

  • 17 years ago

    Aha, wodka is from coastal Mississippi, which means he/she is in the heart of biting gnat and no see-um country! It is also a part of the country, surrounded by coastal waters and marshes, that should never be exposed to the kind of chronic pesticide applications that he/she was asking about.

  • 17 years ago

    Thanks for the spelling. I am so used to seeing the word with a c rather than psy. Besides as you have seen I can not spell. I agree with the exposure and think a screened sitting area would be nice.

  • 17 years ago

    Thanks, everyone, for your advice and precautions. I haven't been back to check, because I marked on here to be notified when anyone posted, but I was never notified. I had no idea that so many of you had posted. Sorry.

    Yes, I live on the hot, humid, Mississippi Gulf Coast. Before Katrina took our last home, we had a wonderful screened back porch and we lived out there, had parties, happy hour, quiet times. It was a great space and we were never bitten.

    A little over a year ago, we built our new home further inland, but seems like the insects are worse here.

    We have a nice back porch with rocking chairs and fans that we could possibly enclose, however, we have a column at the end of the porch and wonder how we would screen around that. I'll post a picture later so you can see. It would be almost impossible to screen in the fireplace/courtyard area, but the back porch is a possibility.

  • 17 years ago

    Here's a pic of our backporch and outdoor fireplace/kitchen area. See the column on the end of the porch - that could be a problem if we wanted to screen that small area in.

    However, the problem remains that we want to enjoy our patio and fireplace/kitchen area - I guess we just hand out the bug spray when our guests go outside or wait for winter....sigh.

    Here is a link that might be useful:

  • 17 years ago

    Sorry about your loss in Katrina. I was in Florida helping after Wilma. I would have a railing made from the column to the two walls. Then have a screened porch built inside of it. Depending on your plans for using during the cooler months some screen products come with glass insets that can be installed either over top/behind/in place of the screens.

  • 17 years ago

    maifleur, thanks. And how generous of you to volunteer your help to Florida after Wilma. I know our Mississippi Gulf Coast could never have survived without the help of people like you, and there are still people offering their help, which is still needed in many areas, after almost 4 years. There's one special person, in Long Beach, where I lived, who is offering to help clear overgrown, Katrina-damaged lots for free for people over 65. One of my neighbors took him up on his offer, and she said he was one of the kindest men she had ever met.

    Thanks also for your porch suggestion. I googled and found several photo galleries that were similar to what you suggested, including some from screentight.com's website.

  • 16 years ago

    I am getting attacked out in my vegie garden by these bugs. I live in Wash state, and I've never had this problem before. Is this unusual? How do I prevent getting bit?? LOng sleeves?

  • 15 years ago

    I use mosquito coils every 20 feet around my camps "stansport" brand and some "off" coils work well. cut the top off a plastic drink cup for wind break and light coils inside cup, looks like a little volcano. Have to babysit coils but they do the job for me
    Mikie

  • 10 years ago

    Water sources are a vital part of a no see ums life cycle. Female midges lay on surfaces containing moisture and larvae develop in aquatic areas such as streams or lakes or even moist soil. Their habitat largely depends on where you live but note they are opportunistic in nature and will make do with what your surroundings provide.

    For this reason, remove or seal water containers. Manage any standing water that may be present in your yard, for instance in puddles, fountains, tires or so forth. There are other practical suggestions to get rid of no see ums. That includes dressing the part.

  • 10 years ago

    Those who participated in this thread back in 2009 are most likely long gone, but I have to say the initial poster sounded like us in 1999 having just moved to a heavily wooded two acre property. We tried everything including the Mosquito magnets mentioned (TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY). Luckily they were on a satisfaction guaranteed deal and were returned. After several years of a large money outlay on bug repellent/mosquito netting clothing and a gazebo for screened "outdoor" reading our community began spraying weekly for Mosquitoes. That is the only thing that made any impact. I am writing today to disagree with "what ever you spray kills every bug". While the mosquitoes population is GREATLY decreased we have PLENTY of pests still. No-see-ums, gnats,beetles of all sorts...on and on. I have no doubt there are also "beneficial" bugs i.e.,bees etc. also about. Where as I am not a huge fan or user of chemicals in my garden I also had to be able to walk from the house to the car without looking like I had measles!! I a very thankful for cummunity wide spraying!!!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Whatever sprays used to kill mosquitoes will have a similar effect on no see ums. But, if you need specific tips, here are a few things to consider:

    1. Use insecticides
    2. Use foggers designed for no see ums and mosquitoes
    3. Wear the right clothing
    4. Use repellents to prevent them from biting
    5. Control the level of moisture

    You can also check out the article attached to comment for specific products and systems to use.



Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting