Software
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Red Aphids on Heliopsis

20 years ago

Don't you love it when the books are right?

The Well Tended Perennial Garden says that Red Aphids attack Heliopsis in May, and boy howdy, do they ever! I have two big stands of 3 different kinds of Heliopsis that were winter sown last year. They look like they've been decorated for Christmas, with huge populations of bright red Aphids.

I hit 'em with insecticidal soap last night, and washed the corpses (and more than a few live ones) off with a blast of the hose today. The book also says they don't do much damage to the plants, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to cut them back by half this week, but I think I'll wait a few days to get the Aphid count back up (they seem to congregate at the tops of the plants), so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

A bright side to this is the Lady Bugs they've attracted. I didn't spray the plants where they were chowing down.

Comments (5)