Software
Houzz Logo Print
apacherosepea00

Possible Leaf Spot?

12 years ago

I planted my first garden earlier this week. Today, I noticed an inordinate amount of ants focusing on two plants in particular. I know ants generally are not the first to 'attack' plants so I have been trying to figure out what is wrong. I was thinking some type of leaf spot or another infection that could have come from the nursery---I can't check until morning but we had some excessive heat/humidity followed by rain. I was wondering, if it appears to be leaf spot, should I remove those two plants before there is any spread? I know this may seem silly but the ants are throwing me for a loop. Any help/information would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

  • 12 years ago

    Ants aren't interested in leaf spots.
    But they are interested in the honeydew (sweet sticky stuff) certain insects excrete, among them aphids and scale.

  • 12 years ago

    ants rarely.. if ever.. attack a plant.. let alone damage a plant...

    when you notice such.. you look for things the ants milk for honeydew .. like aphids or scale ...

    damage noted within a week or two of planting.. is usually related to planting ...

    bugs usually wont 'find' things that fast in numbers significant to do damage ...

    same with disease ...

    especially if you bought quality stock.. which should come disease and bug free ...

    ken

  • 12 years ago

    Thanks for your responses.

    Well from my understanding, a raised bed with great drainage is a favorite for ants and that is what I have. They don't appear to be attacking the plants. They were chilling out on the stems of the two affected plants and appear to be leaving everything else completely alone(all the other plants). I can't find any pests like aphids or scale though, maybe in part because this is new to me.

    On a second pass, I found a little green guy on the the underside of a leave. It is so small I cannot really get a picture. I suppose I better use Google and figure out what he is and how to deal with it. Any help still appreciated from all you gardeners and may your gardens be well!

  • 12 years ago

    Okay so I officially have ants farming aphids in my garden. I am half thrilled that I just figured it out and can attack this problem. Am I right to understand aphids/other pests usually only go after stressed plants?

  • 12 years ago

    Yes.

  • 12 years ago

    Well those pepper plants appear worse for the wear in the hot sun---leaves are dropping, etc. I can see ants but no aphids...lots of ants.. All my other pepper plants wilt during the day as well but all are otherwise healthy---but not really growing. Nor are my tomato seedlings. Ugh.

    If anyone has any clues on what I should do I would really appreciate the help. I have a raised bed, plants get plenty of sun, soil is a variation of Mel's mix---compost, vermiculite, peat moss. Plants are green. Just not growing. They have been in the garden a week.

    Temps here are hitting low 80s during the day but been in the 50s at night. Again, any help appreciated.

    Steve