Software
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

ATTRACTING rabbits!

17 years ago

OK: I have read all the preventinve measures, now I have dragged out the Havahart trap & want to ATTRACT the blasted things away from the veggie garden & INTO the trap. I am wondering what to put into it that will prove more attractive than the wild asters, clover, & rudbeckia that they are eating the most voraciously here in my yard. (I happen to LIKE wild asters! Nice fall fillers.) The last straw was twofold: overnight they nipped off a nice young (foot high) sunflower that had volunteered next to the grandkids' sandbox, and also decimated a patch of wild clover under a tree that was amazingly productive of 4-leaf clovers--much to the grandkids' delight. We have been avoiding the patch with mower & weed whacker all spring...but all it took was one rabbit gourmand to knock 'em back.

I have raised beds full of peas, salad crops, root crops, etc., but so far (knock on wood!!) only squirrels & chipmunks are the bane of my existence there, digging their deep, narrow holes in search of walnuts they apparently buried there all last fall (now & then I find a sprouting seedling from a nut they have not found yet). The holes uproot things and I do not always discover these poor plants until they have wilted beyond revival.

I cannot hope to capture the squirrels or 'munks, but I think I can get a handle on the rabbits if only someone can suggest a really favorite bunny-attractive treat!

Mille grazie!

Comments (9)

  • 17 years ago

    Several sources have reported that coating carrots with peanut butter is a sure fire attractant.

  • 17 years ago

    What kind of trap is that? What would you do with them once you caught them? We had rabbits eat our garden plants down one year, and put up a fence around the garden, no more rabbit problems. Wild rabbits can be easily injured (they will kick back legs and can break back). So if you are intent on capturing them, please be very careful. Where were you planning on releasing them? Not trying to give you a hard time, it's just I've worked in wildlife rehab and know these creatures to be very fragile.

  • 17 years ago

    As I said in my original post, the trap is a Havahart--groundhog sized.
    I would cover the cage with a towel to keep the critter calm & take the rabbit(s) to be released on our daughter's rural place 20 miles away, lots of meadow & woods.
    We have 1.3 acres with a number of perennial beds in addition to the raised bed vegetable garden. The ornamentals are taking more hits than the veggies presently. We will NOT fence the whole yard, and hubby nixes the idea of a dog or cat.
    Thanks to both responders for the input.

  • 16 years ago

    HI! How did things work out with the bunnies? Did the Havahart work? I just set one out because I also cannot use a fence around all my raised beds. We watch the little bunny eat while sitting inside at the window - amazing how fast they chew through the rudbeckia, asiatic lilies, and young blueberry shrubs. If the apple and strawberries I put in trap do not work, I will try the peanut butter carrot.

  • 16 years ago

    I saw the post about the cayenne pepper and garlic...could u tell me how u use it. I have a hoard of bunnies that I am trying to cope with...at the point that they are looking like Soup de jour. Anything that doesnt involve buying a trap would b helpful.

  • 16 years ago

    Pinkcat, I grow & dry the peppers myself but for the garlic powder, I use the biggest, cheapest jar I can get from the Dollar Store. They have cayenne powder, too. (If you have a wholesale food store like Gordon Food Service or maybe Costco or Sam's Club in your area, perhaps they carry large, economy sizes. I have not checked there.)

    Anyway, I simply sprinkle either/both onto the plants I hope to repel the wee beasties from. They do not like the smell of garlic, which is why Liquid Fence is pretty effective--except I do not want THAT along with its rotten egg smell on my edible greens either! But the powdered herbs/spices rinse off OK. And the cayenne--well, once they get a snootful of THAT I do not expect they care to come back for more! If you ever have rubbed your nose or eyes after handling hot peppers, you get the drift.
    Although personally I rather like the thought of rabbit stew...

    You also could try planting garlic this fall in a circle or square around the patch in which you plan to plant salad crops or whatever seems most to entice your rabbits. I think they would not cross through the row of garlic in search of other things, but I don't know for sure. Probably a barrier of lavender would work, too, but that takes up rather a lot of space and of course is perennial.

    P.S. When pposting, it is helpful if you include in your profile the zone & general geographic area in which you live. (As I have put Central OH5 in my heading) Not relevant this time, but often location has a bearing on a problem you may have, and we can be of more assistance to you more quickly. I promise we are not serial killers who will hunt you down. ;-) CK

  • 16 years ago

    Someone recently gave me a suggestion. He uses rubber snakes and swears it works. He puts them on the ground around plants that rabbits like. I am testing it out. The only problem he has is in the winter, snow covers them up. Last winter I had a row of hedges had bark chewed off. So far haven't died. It must have been a tough winter for them, they never did that before to this extent. (I do feed birds all winter so that is probably one reason they visit me) Maybe hang some snakes above snow level? The man that told me this he feed the rabbits in the winter to keep them from eating his shrubs. But them how many rabbits would be attracted. There are just no predators to keep rabbit population down in the suburbs.

  • 9 years ago

    we have tried everything from traps to sprays and nothing has seemed to work so we decided to buy a cheap pellet gun and deal with them that way, I know it seems inhumane but it was the last resort

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting