Software
Houzz Logo Print
levold

ground yabbies

13 years ago

We have had problems with ground yabbies in our garden for decades. I have now had enough. We have hundreds of 1 to 2cm wide holes all over the place. .. what chemicals can I safely Pour into them to kill them yet not damage the soil for the plants? Thanks.

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago

    Ground Yabbies, or land dwelling crayfish, apparently live only where soils are quite wet. Getting the soil dried out is probably the best means of control.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Ground Yabbies

  • 13 years ago

    Levoid, what kind of body of water do you live close to?

  • 13 years ago

    We have springs on our property, and some of them run underground, quite close to the surface, and we also have intermitant streams in the grotto. I have never heard the term yabbie, but I also have terrestrial crayfish. It would be impossible for me in this situation to eradicate them, but have found they do no damage. Actually, they are quite edible. The last thing I'd ever do is try to poison a ground dwelling creature, especially since their burrows likely are flooded at some point and this raises serious contamination issues.

  • 13 years ago

    The term yabbie is most likely an Austrailian one.

  • 13 years ago

    Our 6-month old puppy came running back to me and proudly dropped one of these crawfish at my feet the other day. I about died laughing. I see the holes and rusty soppy mudpiles all over in wet spots, but this is the first time I've actually seen the inhabitant.

  • 13 years ago

    Our 6-month old puppy came running back to me and proudly dropped one of these crawfish at my feet the other day. I about died laughing. I see the holes and rusty soppy mudpiles all over in wet spots, but this is the first time I've actually seen the inhabitant.

  • 13 years ago

    Hi levoid, if your problem is the mole cricket family, Gryllotalpidae , You can apply this insecticides (( Diazinon)) by pour in them with out water, but the soil must be dried during the application

  • 13 years ago

    As of December 31, 2004 it has been illegal to sell, and use, Diazinon products in the United States. While it may be available in other parts of the world its use is such an environmental hazard that no one should be using it.

  • 13 years ago

    Raed.....please read the post. It is about land crayfish....not mole crickets. Your recommendation of a discontinued insecticide without an understanding of the problem is irresponsible.

  • 13 years ago

    I sat and watched one day as a crawdad popped out his chimney and was trying to duke it out with a toad (well, as well as a toad and crawdad can duke it out). The master gardener classes used to come to my property years ago to poke around for unusual stuff and a tour and I offered a door prize to anyone who could identify the crawdad holes. Amazing that it took a lot of guesses and hints before anyone guessed it, as their holes are fairly unique. We just live with them as part of our natural fauna.

  • 13 years ago

    Ok dears, sorry for misunderstanding

  • 13 years ago

    I used to live in coastal SCarolina, in an old home on the Whale Branch River. Crawdads were never a creature I saw.....but the (adorable) Fiddler Crabs! At different times of the year, they would even climb on the house.

    My cats were endlessly and tirelessly amused by those little animals.

  • 13 years ago

    Here is one.
    My pop once said we have an underground spring or river under our whole property. We are about 6oo meters from a river.

  • 13 years ago

    Ok did some reading. Its of the 'Engaeus' family. I just planted my whole garden with palms, bamboo, cordlines, grasses etc so digging them up is out of the question.

    Wonder if strong liquid manure poured down their holes would do anything?

  • 13 years ago

    You really shouldn't do anything that could contaminate the soil or ground water.

0
Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals