highlandernorth

Are Pepper plants perennials? Which ones?

highlandernorth

I always though that peppers were the same as most other garden plants that you buy at garden centers, annuals. I thought you plant them in the spring, they grow, produce peppers, then die in fall like most everything else.

About a week ago, I stopped by a local mulch company to get prices, and by the door there were a bunch of small pots with peppers and tomatoes. They were all between 2 - 3.5 feet tall.

But in the middle, there was a very large pot, about 26 inches in diameter and 24 inches tall. In this pot was a 6.5 foot tall bush. It had a thick truck with brown bark, thick foliage especially at the top half, and very thick leaves. It also had lots of small purple flowers. I couldnt figure out what it was at first, but its leaves looked familiar. Then I compared it's leaves to the small peppers, and realized they look the same.

So when I walked in, I asked the worker there if the large bush was a pepper, and he said "yes". I asked how it got that big, and he said that they just bring it and a few others in every winter, and leave them by a sunny window, then bring them back outside in spring. It was HUGE!

So my question is: Are ALL pepper plants(chili peppers and bell peppers) perennials, or are some annuals? If so, which are perennials?

I have both Tam Jalapenos and Poblano/Anchos, and I'd like to bring one or more inside in the winter if they will continue to grow(perennials)....