Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agathafroo

Dividing new purchases

agathafroo
9 years ago

In the interest of saving money, does anybody here ever divide newly purchased perennials before planting? Or is this a bad idea for the health of all the new divisions?

If yes, are there any rules of thumb I should follow (for example, not dividing something that's currently in bloom, or pruning blooms at division time)?

Specifically what I'm considering now is dividing a Fanal's Astilbe I bought today.

Thanks,
Kim

Comments (3)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Almost always. I rarely buy plants but when I do I try to select a candidate which looks as if it has sufficient stems to divide straight away.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I not only divide them, but like you said, dividing during blooming might be an issue for some plants, so I might even choose one that has the least amount of blooms or flowers. This is so that while it is re-establishing in the new soil or location, it can focus on that and not have to worry about flowers just yet.

The other thing is that I might go ahead and chop off a few leaves and blooms anyway, when I transplant, so if there were only plants that were blooming, I would still get it and do that during the transplant,.

• agathafroo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'm going to divide the heck out of this plant.