Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alynne68

Bad or good bug?

alynne68
10 years ago

Found a bunch ( 4 or 5) on plants and pots. Anyone know what it is?

Comments (13)

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

awwww, what a cutie... it's a ladybug larvae. Definitely good!
    Pam

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Yep. Love seeing those. I love seeing ladybugs, but when I see their children playing in my backyard, I get all giddy.

Who da thunk? I actually don't like "kids."

:P

Kevin

• alynne68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ack!!! I squished one because it startled me! Won't do it again. Thanks!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Ladybugs...good. Ladybugs....good.

I have to keep telling myself that because if I saw this bug, I'd have no doubt smashed it, too (or at least gone screaming and running in the opposite direction). Ugh, I swear....bugs are the worst part of gardening, LOL.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

haha Kevin, me too!

I have a friend that is terrified of the larvae, she's not afraid of ladybugs, but the larvae will send her screaming.
    Pam

• alynne68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pot that had the lady bug larvae yesterday now has a bunch (8-10) ants in it and no larvae to be seen. What to do? Have a much harder time squishing the ants than aphids. Don't want to spray for fear of hurting the larvae if there are any left. Do they prey on each other and if yes which one eats which? The ants are larger than the aphids. Also, how do ants get onto a 3rd floor balcony??!!! Last year I had a pot with a nest of them. It was horrible.

• Phildeez
    10 years ago

Ants are not that harmful, if you notice a large aphid population then take care of them, if not maybe spray them with a hose to disrupt them once in a while but don't worry too much about them.

• alynne68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the aphids under control earlier this year by squishing and spraying. I don't want the ants 2 feet from my kitchen on the balcony. Again, how are they getting to the 3rd floor? All new pots, plants and haven't seen them earlier this year.

• romy6
    10 years ago

Ants are my worst enemy. They protect the nasty aphids from good guys like our ladybird friend :( Death too all ants.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

LadyBIRD.......Have been into the tequila again? :)

Tim

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

you can use a paint brush and brush the outside of the pots with household vinegar that will keep they away be sure not to spay it though if it gets on your leafs they will die or if you get to much in the soil it will raise your PH level some people use it as a weed killer to then just flush the soil real well the PH level will return to normal pretty quick

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

If you have aphids and ants more than likely they are farming the aphids and the ants ran off the ladybug larvae. Squish the aphids and sprinkle cinnamon powder and the ants will go away they dislike cinnamon and you can sprinkle on the top layer of soil, it does no harm to the plants.

Mark

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

I have sprinkled good amounts of cinammon around my pots and it really does keep ants away.

Sponsored