Software
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Marilyn Wellan

Does anyone know of a mail order source for the Eddie Edwards HT Marilyn Wellan that's not on Fortuniana? Will it be registered under that name as I understand there is already a mini named M.W.

Comments (13)

  • 20 years ago

    It has already been registered as Marilyn Wellan. The mini was registered as MOEmarilyn, so there was not a conflict. The Marilyn Wellan name for the mini is just a commercial synonym. Further, Mitchie Moe (who hybridized MOEmarilyn) gave her blessing to naming the new HT Marilyn Wellan before the registration was submitted.

    I'm not aware of anyone carrying the new Marilyn Wellan on anything other than Fortuniana. If it becomes popular there may be some who will pick it up on another rootstock, but for now it is very limited.

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you for your reply. At least I know what name to look for if the HT proves worthy of mass marketing. I realize that the ARS was proud of the name, but it IS frustrating to see the luscious pictures of a rose in the ARS magazine that only a select few have access to at present. I'll be on the lookout for any news of it in the future. A fragrant exhibition HT doesn't happen every day.

  • 20 years ago

    For now it probably will only be available from Johnny Becnel Show Roses. All the nurseries and rose hybridizers were hurt by Katrina, so there isn't much stock right now. I hope we hear more about it in the coming months.

  • 20 years ago

    I recall when Eddie announced the HT 'Marilyn Wellan' at the convention in Memphis he said that Johnny Becnel Show Roses was going to have it budded on Fortuniana, and Jack Walter mentioned he would have it on Multiflora. You might check with Kimbrew-Walter Roses to see if I heard right and when they would be available.

  • 20 years ago

    I talked to Jack Walter from Kimbrew-Walter the other day, and he told me that he is going to have all of Eddie's hybrids on Multiflora. However, as many of you know Eddie suffered quite a setback from Katrina. Jack mentioned that he would not be getting any budwood until spring, so it will be a while before he has some limited quantities of field grown budded plants.

  • 20 years ago

    K&M Roses has it also. I just got one but it's on fortuniana. I've seen the rose in person and it is truely magnificent. Everyone should get it when you can.

  • 20 years ago

    Vernon Rickard at Almost Heaven Roses is carrying this rose own-root. I ordered it myself just this week along with The Wright Brothers, Denali, and Tabatha. I am excited to find someone carrying this not on fortuniana.
    John

  • 20 years ago

    This rose made court at the Tulsa spring rose show today. Beautiful bloom. So many reds to choose from these days.

  • 20 years ago

    In California, it's pink and full of mildew. What a dramatic disappointment! Eddie really needs to test his roses in a broader climate before introduction. I'm tired of being his guinea pig.

  • 20 years ago

    thanks for the info Amandahugg. I love exhibition HT's but also want it to be a nice garden rose as well. It does happen on occasion (I'm thinking Gemini for one).

  • 20 years ago

    I never have any BS or PM on any of my 200 roses including lots of Eddie Edwards cultivars including Marilyn Wellan. I spray every 2-3 weeks with mancozeb mixed with either funginex or daconil depending on the temp. outside.
    John

  • 17 years ago

    hey i hav a project about her and i need info FAST! can you help!!!!????!?!?! please please!!!! birth deth where when, how, who she married, what she did, hwere she lived!!!!! please im not tring to be mean and pushy but i really need you to help!!!!!

  • 17 years ago

    Get your MW here. I have gotten at least 2 from James and they are a great supplier of roses on Fortuniana.

    Here is a link that might be useful: K and M Roses

0
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH