Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruglover

Dark pink found rambler - what am I?

bruglover
17 years ago

The flowers are about one and a half inches across and have 48 petals. The petals toward the center of the rose often have a narrow white stripe in the middle all the way to the outer edge. Outer edges of outside petals are gracefully heartshaped.

I detect a light sweet rose scent. Foliage not scented, except that it smells like a green plant.

Suckers from the roots.

It is thorny. The thorns are pretty straight, slightly bent back. I nicked several of them off so I could get the foliage to lay flat on the scanner.

At present about 8 feet long. Last year it put out several 8 foot canes, floppy and flexible. This year putting out larger, stiffer canes also, and many clusters of buds on short branches along last year's canes. It is LOADED with clusters of buds.

Sorry, couldn't get a good, straight-on flower picture.

I found it at an old homesite in SE Louisiana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown rose

Comments (3)

• mikentx
    16 years ago

The color,size, form and the white stripe of the bloom all make me think Cramoisi Superieur. There is a climbing version.

• bruglover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like Cramoisi Superieur is very likely it. Many thanks.

But good grief, Help Me Find says it grows 12-20 feet. I need more fence!

It was from an old homesite that was mowed every few weeks, and in the shade. The leaves and blooms were dwarfed by that treatment; when I got it, I thought it was going to be some small thing. lol

• mikentx
    16 years ago

You know, Chinas are like that. When they're small plants and you see those smaller-size blooms, they look like they'll end up being about three feet tall. But it doesn't mind being pruned to fit your space, so don't be intimidated. It's great rose for the south!