Fabdecor
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
which arrangement?

Comments (111)

• Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    great ideas here for you to try - even before painting and drapes! Move all big pieces and then add, one at a time, the smaller tables etc. You do have too many tables in the room. Matching end tables and coffee table are old ideas. When couch is on the wall, everything appears to 'fit in' but if you WANT to keep the second end table, move it to the other side of the couch and use it for a table lamp. Rule of thumb (used to work at furn store) is that the end table be taller than the arm of the sofa, and yours do not qualify. That is so they can be utilized for a drink, not just a lamp. You can see how the end table between the chairs meets that standard. You could warm up the room with drapes, as has been suggested, BUT make sure you hang them right! Here is a link which explains how to hang drapes as I see you have one window close to a corner... http://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2011/05/03/the-right-way-to-hang-curtains-and-drapes/ Read and study the right way to hang drapes as it covers all 'problem areas' too.
  • bltoupin
    11 years ago
    Couch on the wall because it looks cramped and closed in facing fireplace!! JMT
  • annoulaxeni
    11 years ago
    ymcs has the ticket: one arrangement when the fireplace is likely to be used (winter) and the other when the fireplace isn't necessarily the focus (warmer months). Besides, don't you need to change your furniture around periodically? When I get sick of cleaning a room, it's usually because I need a fresh change and moving furniture around always works :-)

By the way, the side tables seem excessive in the sofa-opposite-the-fireplace view, whereas they work perfectly in the other layout. However, I note you don't have any table lamps which would be SO nice in that room!
  • namrata03
    11 years ago
    couch facing the fireplace...it gives warm and cosy effect.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    2 small round tables, console table behind sofa (two ottmans/bench tucked underneath), and a tufted ottoman. No more, no less. [houzz=
    Dunes · More Info
    ]
  • Tina Lowe
    11 years ago
    couch on the wall
  • margretwilber
    11 years ago
    looks great couch facing fireplace but realistically where is the tv going ?
  • margretwilber
    11 years ago
    looks great couch facing fireplace but realistically where is the tv going ?
  • mrswolf
    11 years ago
    I like them both, one for spring/summer and the other for fall/winter. I think the idea of moving the sofa to the big window wall would look cleaner. Curtains would help warm it up a little. Maybe two small sitting cubes together with a tray on it in place of the coffee table or just the coffee table to cut down on all the tables in the room. Good luck. :)
  • Dani
    11 years ago
    couch facing fireplace looks better. couch on wall functions better but is still not bad.. id spruce up the decor a bit and itd be fine..color on fireplace looks great
  • petrilfe
    11 years ago
    I like couch on wall, but would replace small chairs and table with small loveseat or large upholstered chair in nice greencolor with accent pillows to match fireplace color. Drapes or bamboo blinds would add texture. Keep accessories minimal to keep room looking more spacious. Agree that fireplace window walls should be painted accent color also.
  • petrilfe
    11 years ago
    I like couch on wall, but would replace small chairs and table with small loveseat or large upholstered chair in nice greencolor with accent pillows to match fireplace color. Drapes or bamboo blinds would add texture. Keep accessories minimal to keep room looking more spacious. Agree that fireplace window walls should be painted accent color also.
  • rasd
    11 years ago
    the couch adjacent to the fireplace would account for better flow, although with the couch directly across the fireplace is more appealing to the eye, but makes for awkward intimate conversation in the chairs. All in all, a bit cluttered for my taste. Windows could use some softening with side panels (?), different cocktail table and side tables (?), loose the ceiling fan (?) in lieu of table lamps, and the fireplace looks dwarfed, I might try to beef it up a bit.
  • hgtvobsessed
    11 years ago
    I also like the couch facing the fireplace, but would pull it up a bit closer have a oval or round ottoman instead of the large rectangular coffee table. Break up the wood. even if its a smaller solid coffee table, not wood. You could however add a narrow console table behind the sofa once you push it up closer to the fireplace.
  • sandberry
    11 years ago
    I like couch facing fireplace; it encourages those who sit on the couch to take in the room. The chairs flanking the fireplace balances the couch. This room looks more balanced because of this arrangement.
  • PRO
  • Linda Lubbers
    11 years ago
    I like the sofa facing the fireplace. Your room looks very cozy and comfortable. A welcoming home. I guess some people still feel compelled to offer decorating advice as to the other items in your room even though you only asked for advice on your arrangement. Just ignore the unsolicited advice and enjoy what you have created.
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    you are right Linda, absolutely right. Am so used to giving this type of advice I lost my head. The additional advice is just to take it to the next level of 'welcoming'.
  • jagrawal7
    11 years ago
    I have a similar layout in my house. I recently have gone back and forth with the layout. I went back to the original formation of having the couch ag'st the wall so it seemed more open to the kitchen. I didn't like the couch partially blocking the access from kitchen to Living Rm.
  • cattyhattie
    11 years ago
    Definitely like the couch facing the fp. Maybe lose a small table.
  • Chantale W
    11 years ago
    Couch facing the fire place. I would remove the side table though, for easier traffic flow, and to open up the room a bit.
  • Chantale W
    11 years ago
    Couch facing the fire place. I would remove the side table though, for easier traffic flow, and to open up the room a bit.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Wow what a thread! I have already expressed my opinion but wanted to add to it based on jagrawal7 comment.
    Furniture placement is about the three f's: focal point, functionality and flow.
    Obviously the focal point is the fireplace. Based on the pictures, I'm assuming this is a sitting/living room or else I believe Fabiola would have mentioned the TV as another focal point to consider.
    The fireplace should be enjoyed by everyone in th room not just those on the sofa. The first arrangement addresses all seating spots including the bar area.
    The second option does not offer good functionality as it currently sits. A good seating arrangement allows for easy conversation (which is why the chairs need to come closer), good lighting (ideally by where each person would sit) and a place to put a drink.
    The first option addresses all those needs and could accommodate lamps on side tables if necessary.
    The second option has tables floating with access to no seating and the two chairs have nothing to put a glass down on.
    The flow of the first option allows you to see the room upon entering and keeps the people at the bar part of the room/conversation.
    The second option cuts the room both physically and visually. The addition of a sofa table works well in larger rooms but I believe, and I'm just assuming (and you know what happens when you assume:)) that the bar is stationary ( a kitchen island maybe looks like granite ?) and there would not be enough room for a sofa table to walk around.
    Good luck Fabiola, hope you have found the thread helpful and not overwhelming :)!
  • iamchickaddd
    11 years ago
    I like the couch facing the fireplace but I don't like the lineup of coffee table and end tables. Maybe the end tables could be grouped differently with the chairs with a lamp on the end tables instead of the doilies. Or do away with the coffee table altogether.
  • not me
    11 years ago
    A tan paint on the walls...too much contrast between fireplace and wall. It will add warmth and pull the room together. Add window covering. The room seems like it is set up to be conversational right now which might be what they are looking for. It does provide an open view to fireplace when you comeinto room.
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    I believe Inside Out Staging & Design hit ALL the main points, and as I read it, I agree.
    Drapes could warm up the room with softness - for an add on...
    Three lamps, two for end tables and one floor lamp - all with small wattage bulbs for soft lighting.
    Wouldn't use ceiling light except for when more light is needed - playing a game etc... When ceiling light is on when company is there makes too much light and everyone looks 'better' in soft lighting.
    The room is lovely.
  • monika2024
    11 years ago
    how do you get to the couch when it's facing the fireplace? it seems there's not enough room on the left side? Do you have to walk all the way around? Also what is the distance between the couch and the stools. I think the couch on the wall seems to "flow" better. When it's placed facing the fireplace, it chops up the room and feels congested next to the stools. Also would it be sticking past the left wall? That would just "feel" weird to me. Unless of course you got rid of the other pieces and moved the couch up a bit towards the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Roots and Rafters
    11 years ago
    Definitely the couch facing the fireplace. I would remove the table on the left-hand side in the picture, however, and either replace it with a smaller, round table or leave a table out of that space altogether.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Couch facing the fireplace - remove the two square end tables. Go with round (16-18" diameter) side tables flanking the fireplace. perfect!
  • K MM
    11 years ago
    Wall is more inviting and cozy. Facing fireplace is more aesthetically pleasing initially, but blocks off the flow of the area. It's a small room and the first arrangement makes it feel more open and larger. You'll just be bumping into that couch everyday or wishing you had more space if you place it facing the fireplace. It feels very "heavy" facing the fireplace. If you choose against the wall, how about a larger piece or a large plant to balance the couch where the cabinet is standing? It and the pumpkins feel very small.
  • pearlandgirl
    11 years ago
    couch facing fireplace!
  • coastalgirl1
    11 years ago
    I posted a similar question a few days ago and the general recommendations were in favor of setting up the sofa in front of the fireplace. I did it, and then after a few hours, I decided I didn't like wallking into the room and seeing the back of the sofa. A sofa table behind the sofa alleviates this concern, but if you are looking at using what you have like I did, then I will put in a vote for the more open layout. I would consider bringing the sofa in a bit from the wall...otherwise, my only other advice is "enjoy your lovely room!!".
  • teddibears
    11 years ago
    Sofa in front of the fireplace during the winter months and on the wall during the summer months.
  • lyngreen
    11 years ago
    The large window behind the two chairs makes them look too small for the space. Definitely the couch facing the fireplace.
  • jess0906
    11 years ago
    I prefer the couch next to the fire place, makes the room more inviting.
  • gdcalhoun
    11 years ago
    Normally I'd say go with facing fireplace but with the stools so close, I think it would be too crowded and restrictive. Go with it against the wall instead.
  • gdcalhoun
    11 years ago
    Normally I'd say go with facing fireplace but with the stools so close, I think it would be too crowded and restrictive. Go with it against the wall instead.
  • Betty Webb
    11 years ago
    paint walls on each side of fireplace same color as fireplace wall to extend the width of the room, keep sofa on wall for more openess, get rid of coffee table or get one smaller, it blocks view of fireplace, no doilies and a little less clutter on mantel, I also agree with other comment on putting in shelves under windows on each side of fireplace, nice room.
  • PRO
    Dennis D. Crowley Construction INC
    11 years ago
    I'd prefer the sofa facing fireplace during the season when it's in use. Against the wall when the fireplace is not in use. Maybe remove the end tables to avoid crowding and add nice window dressing when the sofa is facing the fireplace.
  • teesa6126
    11 years ago
    I must be wonky, I keep seeing the sofa at a right angle to the wall (on a diagonal) with the large window and the chairs opposite that. Then an ottoman of some sort for the coffee.
  • linn0517
    11 years ago
    Feng Shui - leave sofa against wall to have better traffic flow. The sofa in front of the fireplace doesn't not have good traffic flow! : )
  • judyhenly
    11 years ago
    Sofa on the wall and chairs opposite opens up your space more. It also lets you use your tables for what they are intended - Lamps and drink placement.
  • pdmorgan
    11 years ago
    The sofa on the wall makes the room much more easily navigated. In that picture, I see a corner of a bar or counter? Given there's more in the room than we can see, the sofa on the wall gives you better use of space. And you don't need to have the furniture pushed completely to the walls! Pull the chairs and sofa out a bit for some breathing room - and you'll have a cozy conversation area beside the fireplace!
  • Fabdecor
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Woow ! I am overwhelmed with all these great comments! I am going to read all your kindly comments and will work toward making the room better! Thank you so much! keep the great ideas coming please...
  • PRO
    Roots and Rafters
    11 years ago
    I revise my earlier comment. I'd keep the couch lined up along the wall, but move it in about a foot. Do the same with the chairs (move them in towards the couch) and get a bigger rug that will tie everything together. At the very least, the front legs of your couch and chairs should be on the rug.
  • Traycee
    11 years ago
    I prefer the couch along the wall since it allows the chairs to be placed closer together for a more intimate seating arrangement, and everyone can enjoy the fire. In the opposite arrangement the people sitting in the chairs would have their backs to the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I would recommend going with a Shutter . I carry a line of shutters that would match your already existing frames it would look absolutely amazing!
    http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
  • Nora Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    I like the couch facing the fireplace, but i'd remove the side tables as they seem to block the walking space & clutter the room up more. Window treatments would warm up the area too.
  • chelseabeagle
    11 years ago
    The fireplace is the focal point - so the second picture looks wonderful!
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    10 years ago
    I like the sofa facing the fireplace