Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrmankins

Trade? Want Roses That Set Hips

jrmankins
17 years ago

i have some newly rooted louis phillipe, martha gonzales and erfurt roses, from cuttings. Could trade one of these for cuttings of one or two of the following that reliably set hips;

Danae

Ballerina

Gideon lincecum

Gloire de Ducher

katy road pink

jeanne d'Arc

Queen of Bourbons

Rose Edouard

Trier

Will Scarlet

thanks, jeanine

Comments (7)

• ditaroman
    17 years ago

Martin Guillot is not on your list, the best rose in my yard that set hips (lots of it). Let me know if you're interested and I will root one for you. I don't need any trade because I don't have any room, in fact I'm giving away some of my roses.

• jrmankins
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi pinoy, ok, what i found was that she is a shrub rose, gorgeous long pink buds, fragrant and pretty easy to grow. how tall and wide does she get, and what do the hips look like? is she once or repeat bloomer?

do you have room for cooking herbs? i have some rooted mint, oregano, sage and rosemary that i could trade for cuttings. you could send cuttings when she's thru blooming. i often start rose cuttings in late spring and early summer in sand and shade down here in the sub tropics.
    thanks
    jeanine

• pecanmom66
    17 years ago

Hello,

I see you have a couple of climbers on your hips wanted list.

I don't have any of these, but I do have Cherokee rose, and she sets hips very very well.

Let me know what you think.

Monique

• ditaroman
    17 years ago

Hi Jeanine, Martine Guillot is creamy white (off-white), not a shade of pink at all. I always think it is the best flower for a wedding bouquet because of its color and shape. Very fragrant, it gets tall and wide though. Since I did not prune it this year I think it's about 7'5" and 5-6' wide. I'm waiting for its flush to be done, then I'm going to give it a good haircut. Hip color- dark brown. I root anytime of the year.

• jrmankins
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope I didn't upset anyone. I don't seem to have been getting my email messages. Not sure whether anything went out either. I am checking to fix this. Sorry.
    Jeanine

• jrmankins
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pinoy, my appologies!!
    I emailed that I would love some of your Martine Guillot! Cuttings or rooted piece. Sounds just wonderful. I could send some rooted herbs, if you have room for them. Right now, have mint assortment, oregano, rosemary and sage rooted and ready. Email me at jrmankins@gmail.com. I think that will work. Thanks

Monique, also my appologies!
    I would love some of the Cherokee Rose. Do you have a trade in mind? Email me at jrmankins@gmail.com. Thanks

Jeanine

• weldontx
    16 years ago

Jeanne, Don Juan, cl. sets a lot of large hips for me if you are interested in a climber. I'd prefer to wait until Sept to sent cuttings, tho. I also have a small pink mini (a real beauty) that is setting hips like crazy. I would be interested in Louis Phillipe and do you have fennel seed? Don't think plants would stand the shipping due to the heat. The butterfly lavae have demolished my fennel. I am supposing that you have the edible sage. I would send postage for fennel and sage seed.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!