Software
Houzz Logo Print
jont1

Seed Prep

17 years ago

I am not a rose novice by any means but I am still having seed prep issues. I only have three viable new roses to show for my efforts due to poor germination results.

I always remove the seeds and wash them thoroughly to remove all pulp and residue.

My problem is when proofing them. I always seem to end up with a lot of mold and fungus and I think that is killing the majority of the seeds so I get lousy germination.

What do you use to successfully proof your seeds in the fridge.

I was thinking of trying coconut coir or fine sand lightly dampened. Will that cut down on the mold problem? I have used just dampened paper towels in the past.

Is 60 days the right amount of time to proof the seeds in the fridge??

John

Comments (2)