Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaye620

Fall Plant Swap?

kaye620
17 years ago

Have there been any plans for a fall plant swap?

Comments (18)

• mossy06
    17 years ago

Am south of you. Would be interested in a swap and meeting other gardeners in the area.

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Me too! I haven't ever been to a swap, so I don't really know how to go about setting one up; but, I guess I can learn. Maybe we can get some more people from the area that would like to take part also.

• ginabug
    17 years ago

I want to come!!

• cindyabs
    17 years ago

Me too, that would be great. Next plant gathering that I know of but is not a swap is the fall sale at the Bamboo Farm in October.

• beth_florida
    17 years ago

I am new to gardenweb, read the story in Orlando Sentinel. I am in the Orlando area and I am very interested in going to a plant swap, Would be a first for me. I am also interested in conversing with other floridians so I hope I'm in the right place.

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry Beth, we are in the Savannah, GA area. However you are still welcome to come to anything we decide to have.

Any ideas where we could have a swap at and when would be a good time?

October sounds great to me (cooler weather)! I live out in the country and have a good size front yard. However, we have only been in our house for a year, so I don't have well established flower beds. More like, 20 different unfinished projects. :) If we need the space I have it; just don't expect a Home & Garden show case.

I can start researching how to set up a plant swap. If you have any information on the how-to's send them my way.

• mossy06
    17 years ago

October would be great. My favorite month for the coast. Just pick a date and time. Don't worry about your unfinished projects. Mine will always be a work in progress. The showcase gardens are intimidating to me. At some of the swaps they have a lunch with everyone bringing a picnic food item, even if it's just sandwiches. Also, trying posting on the Carolina forum. Might get some interested gardeners from the Hilton Head area. Good luck and let us know if you need help.

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Bamboo Gardens is having their Fall Fun Day on October 28th this year. How about the 14th of October?

Does anyone know of a park that has a large pavillion we could use? That of way we would have protection from the weather and picnic tables.

I put a message on the Get-Togethers board and on the Georgia board to see if anyone else would like to take part. Putting it onto the SC board is a good idea too.

How many people do you think we would need to make it worth wild?

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

Since this will be the first try at a swap, why not just plan it as a Get Together and if anyone wants to bring give away plants, wonderful. That way, no one will feel that they must have a plant to swap in order to come. Get Togethers can be loads of fun. And best of all, you get to put a face with the sign in user name.

I would love to meet people in the Savannah area, but it's doubtful if I would have anything to swap unless it was late enough that I could dig bulbs.

• cindyabs
    17 years ago

What about having it AT the Bamboo Gardens? They have the pavillion with picnic tables.

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Bamboo Gardens have a great pavillion but they charge for the use of it. There is a park with a lake and pavillions just off of Hwy 21 in Springfield. How would you all like that?

I think it would be great to have a picnic lunch. We could make it into both a swap and get-together. We can bring items we want to trade plus items to be freebies for those of you who don't have anything to trade.

• cindyabs
    17 years ago

Hmm, maybe some place a bit closer? There's a park in Pooler, what about the Savannah Botanical Gardens? Or even (possibly weird-boat landings with shelters-think there's one on 17, going towards 204. We also have the new park here in Richmond Hill-don't know what/if they charge?

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What about King's Ferry? I haven't ever been there. Do any of you know if it would have enough room for us and what condition the place is in?

I drove buy one of the parks in Effingham yesterday. It has a pavillion with 12 metal picnic tables that would be easy to more around. It had running fans and was connected to the bathrooms. There were also two sets of metal stadium benches near by.

Where is everyone located so we can try to find a central location?

Sandra - Guyton
    Cindy - Richmond Hill
    Mossy - ?
    Agnes - ?
    Gina - ?

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fishermanpaujl- Offerman
    adalynn - Statesboro
    Sandra - Guyton
    Cindy - Richmond Hill
    Mossy - ?
    Agnes - ?
    Gina - ?

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Skidaway State Park - Group shelter: $200, Picnic shelters: $40
    Fort McAllister - Group Shelter: $100, Picnic Shelters: $30
    Also, each car has to pay $3 for a park pass.

A group shelter would be nice but pricy.

Bamboo gardens charges $80 for their pavillion.

Also, let's set a date. First or Second Saturday in Oct.?
    :) Sandra

• pagan
    17 years ago

I wanna come too!

Pagan - Charleston

• dataw1127
    17 years ago

Me too. (Beaufort)

• kaye620
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fishermanpaujl- Offerman