Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Pope John Paul II

celeste/NH
16 years ago

Awhile back, someone asked about this rose but because I

had just planted it, I couldn't give an assessment. Now that it has bloomed off and on this summer I would like to

share some pictures as well as mention that it is deliciously-scented of lemon and has HUGE blooms which are picture-perfect and are wonderful for the vase. Mine has so far been very healthy with no problems. There aren't many fragrant white HT so I was skeptical about its claim of fragrance....but the plant I have is highly fragrant, rose with citrus....yummy! I am glad I took a chance and got this one.

Celeste

POPE JOHN PAUL II

{{gwi:1259506}}

{{gwi:333933}}

{{gwi:316674}}

{{gwi:1259508}}

Comments (34)

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh that is a beauty----

Florence

• ramblinrosez7b
    16 years ago

Oh Yes it sure is pretty, and so clean. Thanks for sharing your photos. I must get one now!

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful white roses, I can see why you're so pleased with it.

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

wow, what a beautiful rose.I don't care much for white roses,but i would dure plant this one.its gorgeous.

Jean

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Celeste, that is such a gorgeous white rose! I only have the rugosa whites, Sir Thomas Lipton and Souv de Phil Cochet; both of which suffer from thrip damage and ugly spent blooms. PJP II seems to be just what I'm looking for. Hope it becomes available up here soon. Thanks for sharing,
    Judith

• jerome
    16 years ago

Celeste, I am happy JPII does well for you in New Hampshire, because it's a winner in Orange County California too. Blooms a ton and all the things you said. Great photos of a great rose.

Jerome

• missflippins
    16 years ago

Thank you for showing your lovely photos of JP. It looks fabulous! He is on my wish list and hopefully he will do as well for me as he has done for you.

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

It looks like the white rose a lot of us have been waiting for. It looks very healthy and strong. Add another one on my list of new ones.
    Thanks for the pics.

• paulieinct
    16 years ago

Spectacular photos. New for me this year, I am waiting for the second flush. So far, I am very pleased. There is nothing like the pristine beauty of a fragrant white, IMO. -Paul

• jont1
    16 years ago

I bought two of these PJPII roses this spring and am very glad that I did. These pictures are very realistic for what you can expect from this rose. I counted 22 individual flowers on one of them just a few days ago. The fragrance is--forgive me--heavenly as well. This is a good garden and maybe sometimes exhibition rose. The one thing I might change on it would be to give the blooms a bit more toughness/substance to the petals. I haven't seen any weather damage, but I think the blooms could stand to last just a bit longer and a little more substance to the petals would have fixed that. I don't know how well it refrigerates yet either, but I do need to try it and see.
    Any way you go about it, this is one fine white rose. It may very well prove out to be the best white introduction for hybrid teas/grandiflora's in an age. I recommend this one to anyone who will listen long enough.
    John

• Greg
    16 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful pics. I've been wondering about this rose and am pleased to see all the positive comments. Lovely photos!

• loveisroses
    16 years ago

Celeste, WoW!! You captured John Paul beautifully. An outstanding rose.

Cheers
    Gabby

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

I was very tempted to get this rose last spring. It looks as if I should have done it!

• alisande
    14 years ago

CelestialRose, how is John Paul doing in your Zone 4 garden?

It sure is pretty......

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

alisande....
    Well, he came through winter once again and was cut down to about 6 inches like all my hybrid teas and is sending out lots of green leaves. We had a wicked winter with
    a severe ice storm here that seemed to damage a lot of
    my roses but luckily, out of over 300, I only lost one.
    Even though I've had to cut most of my roses right down
    to the ground or just several inches, I am delighted to
    see that new growth is abundant.

Since I posted this thread back in '07, PJP has remained
    a wonderful rose and I enjoy him immensely. I look
    forward to that fragrance!

Celeste

• oasisdave
    14 years ago

Awesome pics! PJPII is just about my favorite white.

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

Looks like I'll be adding this to my collection! Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

• lilc5
    14 years ago

Hi Celeste
    Would you mind posting your PJP blooms when you get them this year. Mine plant is at a its second year and only had two blooms last year as it came late in the season. My first PJP died after the winter of 07 and J&P gratiously replaced it but came late in summer of 08. This year I pruned already and I see tons of growth. Hope for more blooms.

Carolina

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Carolina,
    Yes, I can post new pics and if I forget, remind me! I have over 300 rosebushes so it might slip my mind.
    For me here in zone 4, it won't be until the 3rd week of June before my roses start blooming so I'm trying to be
    patient. It seems like everyone's roses bloom before mine....(sigh).

Celeste

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

My goodness, your yard is beautiful.

• aingfromWI
    12 years ago

I just bought this rose yesterday after doing on line searches for fragrant roses. The buds are ready to open, and after seeing the photos here, I can't wait!

• CapeHeart
    12 years ago

Celeste! Thanks so much for posting pics of PJPII I just planted him this year! No blooms yet but your pics give me lots of hope. Yours is just beautiful! :)

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

just bought it today 15.00 at local grow shop its has a weeks tag in small print says its a P&J rose smell sooo good
    {{gwi:304634}}it

• emese
    10 years ago

Hello Celeste,
    how do you protect 300 roses from winter freeze?

• rosynut
    9 years ago

I'm from South Africa and bought one yesterday. Still small but with 4 buds. Can't wait for it to open

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I'm in love!!! That IS heavenly!!! Mmmmmm. :)
    Carol

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

I've had Pope JP II for a couple of years. It's blooms are great with great form. The smell is wonderful! It grows well and has little blackspot activity on it. It can stand up to any pure white rose!

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

I love this rose! I got it last year and decided to plant it in a pot afraid of the cold hardiness. It performed beautiful all season long. Since you grow it in the grown in zone 4, I might planted outside next year.

• redc22
    9 years ago

This is the whitest white rose. Another one that I have is Full Sail, it is just like PJP.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

So pretty. I just got this one grafted onto fortuniana. It should be opening its first flower in the next few days. I can't wait to smell it lol.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Sultry, where did you get it on fort.? It was a weak grower for me and maybe fort . root stock would help.

• outpoststirring
    8 years ago

Where/what state, location, etc were these wonderful photos of the John Paul II taken? It looks like my ideal garden, and I would like to one day buy a house in the area.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

As per Celeste's profile, she lives in New Hampshire in the lakes and mountains region. I agree that it is beautiful.