Software
Houzz Logo Print
dennisjmccoy

January's Blooms

20 years ago

In Tennessee blooms are rare in January, but there are some. Here are a couple from my garden.

The mahonia is just beginning to bloom.

{{gwi:1274511}}

This chrysanthemum is valiantly trying to bloom.

{{gwi:1274513}}

Lets see some of your blooms!

Comments (15)

  • 20 years ago

    Great looking pics

  • 20 years ago

    I'll have to add mahonia to my garden for Jan. bloom.

  • 20 years ago

    They won't normally bloom this early. The blooms this year are because it's so unusually warm.

  • 20 years ago

    i was at summit hospital in hermitage january 12 and saw a purple leaf plum tree in full bloom. i couldn't believe it! one next to it was trying with all it's might to do it but just getting started. great winter-hope it lasts.

  • 20 years ago

    Mahonia usually starts blooming now in my area, (7b) although there is quite a bit of variation between plants. My plants are all seed started, and in 4 clumps there are 5 variations. One of the clumps has a rogue shoot that is different from the rest. Two of the clumps are starting to bloom now, one has lots of buds, and one has just started to send up the bloom spikes.

  • 20 years ago

    My Mahonia sometimes flowers as early as Christmas, and it's always flowering by mid-Jan. Just goes to show what difference microclimates can make.

    One of my Camellias had flowers on it last week.

    This morning I noticed a flower on Homestead Purple Verbena, and my first bulb, a Scilla, has two bright blue flowers. The unseasonably warm weather has them fooled. Some of my early daffodils and Hellebores have buds too. Those usually flower for me in early to mid February.

  • 20 years ago

    Yesterday I thought to check for scent. Got poked for the effort, but found that mahonia smells like roses!

  • 20 years ago

    I have seen Mahonia in the woods at Percy Warner Park . Boy they sure are stickery . Color is exciting this time of year . Hamamelis ( Witch Hazels )are tops as well as Prunus mume . Both are blooming outside Nashville this time of year which is normal . Another is Edgeworthia chrysantha , ummmmm .

  • 20 years ago

    Finally we have something blooming at the farm - a weeping pussy willow. This is the first year it has bloomed so I am happy to see it. Lots of daffodil bud stalks are pushing up, too. Some as high as 6-8" already.

  • 20 years ago

    We had a Witch Hazel (Arnold's Promise) planted last August. I was expecting to see yellow flowers in Jan., but nothing. Does anyone know if it takes a couple of years before we see flowers on this in Jan?

  • 20 years ago

    Crocus are bloomimg all over the yard here at Cheapwood.

  • 20 years ago

    I walked around my yard today and noticed the following blooming: crocus; hellebores; winter jasamine (has been in full bloom for about a month). I have some verbena 'Snowflurry' that has bloomed most of the winter--not lots of blooms but most any day one can find a few white blossoms. Love that plant!!! I saw a gloriosa daisy in bloom before this last cold snap. My winter honeysuckle is in full bud as well as the forsythia. Oh, yes, I also saw a dandelion in bloom--guess I need to spend a few hours getting rid of some winter weeds.

  • 20 years ago

    The joy of Mahonia blooming in January is that the pale blooms float in mid-air against the disappearing dark foliage when captured by the porch light after dark. Which is when most of us get to see it. Highly recommended for planting under the window of any resident teenagers.

    Hope you don't mind an incursion from an ex-pat

  • 20 years ago

    Hey Ragdollblue , You will never see 'Arnold Promise' flower in Jan. , it is more late season . Before this last cold snap , they were just beginning to unfurl . For Jan. may I suggest 'Jelena' ( Ya-lena )or 'Pallida' . The above are intermedias which are hybrids of Chinese and Japanese varieties . Feb. cultivars that are nice are 'Aphrodite', 'Aurora' , 'Diane' , and anything orange . Our native vernalis is getting better with purple and red flowers . Some virginiana cultivars are floating around , even dwarfs . By the way Ham. ver. 'Blue Moon' does not have blue flowers . At least the two I have don't . What a cool genus . Some propagators are using Parrotia as understock to do away with the suckers .

  • 20 years ago

    Ok hope I do this right to post a photo. This is my winter jasmine. It starts blooming in January and is just finishing now.

Sponsored