Software
Houzz Logo Print
deltatropicsguy

Almost got bit by this character today!

21 years ago

While on a visit to the wetlands in eastern Shelby county today, I ran across some interesting critters.

My girlfriend and I ran into this lovely gift from satan today. Needless to say- she jumped 10 feet in the air. Naturally I had to take a picture. :)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/305252490/305255789LYenXo

Lots of aquatic plants, vines, arums, etc out in these areas. Lots of snakes too.

Comments (12)

  • 21 years ago

    I don't blame your girlfriend for jumping!

  • 21 years ago

    A beauty. That one's much lighter colored than the individuals I've seen in my neck of the woods. I love snakes and have been known to (VERY carefully!) remove a copperhead out of harm's way from a road. They're God's critters, too, and are in more and more trouble as we invade their formerly wild domains.

    That said, I jump like a rabbit when coming by surprise upon a snake. Caution is the better part of valor in poison snake country. :)

    Marty

  • 21 years ago

    If it wiggles....I want it gone!

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    I couldn't see the photo, but was it a copperhead? I've always thought the copperhead is one of the most beautiful animals. Their heads and eyes are particularly striking.
    I've only seen a couple live, but interestingly the first one I saw was around age 10 when I was at a trout stream. I was standing on some rocks and it was quite hot. Anyway, I was standing totally still looking around for my father and happened to glance down and its head was about 1 inch from my right foot. Guess it noticed the movement of my head and it slithered back into the rocks.
    I saw another one on the Cumberland plateau a few years back. It was gorgeous.

  • 21 years ago

    Beautiful snake, but it's not a copperhead.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Well. It is a copperhead. But since you went so far as to say it's not one, it'd be nice to know what you think it is.

  • 21 years ago

    I sent the picture to a friend who studies snakes, then I posted it to a website where people who field herp identify snakes. I did this because I saw the pic and thought hmmm that's not the copperhead I've seen before. Their response was "Definately a colubrid of some sort, probably an intergrade. Copperheads have much larger heads than that." It just doesn't have the markings of a copperhead . Check the link. May I ask what makes you think it IS a copperhead ?

    Cheryl

    Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1275963}}

  • 21 years ago

    Don't anybody pass-out....but I agree with Cheryl. The banding is all wrong for that to be a Copperhead. From juveniles to adults, they have thick hour-glass bands. I'm no herp expert but I've seen more than my share of Copperheads. I'm not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure what it ain't!

    BTW, SuperBirds and SuperBees are the bomb! Never has a vehicle been made that was cooler, muscle cars or anything else....Beep Beep.
    Mopar Rules, long live Mopar!!!

  • 21 years ago

    I would have to agree.. not a copperhead, but no fun to stumble upon, just the same. Wrong banding, wrong head shape. But I have to admit that I'm freaked out by the garter snakes that hang out in my gardens.

    Could it be a young pinesnake? I'm interested to hear from the herp experts.

  • 21 years ago

    Definitely not a copperhead, DTG. Not sure exactly what kind it is though. Pretty snake though!

  • 21 years ago

    My girlfriend went nuts when I picked it up. Yea, very stupid.... But I couldn't have gotten this great shot of it had I not kept it from jettin' away..

    So it wasn't a copperhead, but cool pic just the same, huh? .D

  • 21 years ago

    Awesome picture !!

    Cheryl

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting