Software
Houzz Logo Print
musikisme

Help ID plants

20 years ago

I posted this on the plant exchange discussion page, however, since this garden is in TN, I figure most of you will know what these are.

I need some help Identifying some plants. I teach in a small town and a lady who lived next door to the school will her home and gardens to the school. She had VERY beautiful gardens and due to her illness in the couple of years prior to her death, they were unkept and bulbs and plants have gone haywire. Our school has had possession for two years now and our maintenance dept. MOWS DOWN MANY OF THE BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS after they bloom in the early spring. I was told today that they will be mowing next week and I could come this weekend and get ANYTHING I wanted from the gardens...I AM SOOO EXCITED...anyway, I will stop rambling now and get down to business. There are many hyacinths, peonies, daffs, tulips, vinca, and on and on I could go...these are some of the plants/flowers that caught my eye and are obviously easy to grow considering the lack of care...I would like to know what they are so I can learn how to care for them properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lori

By the way,I found a "buddy" that is interested in coming to the MTPS (it is about 4 hour drive for us)because hubby can't do all the walking. Anything you see or notice listed in this post, that you would be good for my first swap, let me know (except that little lonely blue flower...it's mine!!! LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lori's Plant Pictures

Comments (13)

  • 20 years ago

    In case the like doesn't work, this is the web address for the pictures of the plants.
    http://www.geocities.com/lorideshields/plantpage.html

  • 20 years ago

    Photos 1 and 2 are arum italicum. I hope the link below will work. Arum is fun to grow because of the wonderful little stalks of orange fruits it produces. It re-seeds well but I wouldn't consider it invasive. Great color and interest for a shade/part shade garden.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Arum Italicum Marmoratum

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you very much for the info. My hubby's aunt gave me a piece of this two years ago and it hasn't grown as much as the one in the photo. Mine has not bloomed...could I be doing something wrong, or does it just take a few years to establish??
    Lori

  • 20 years ago

    I think the 1st blue flowering plant is phlox diverticulate. Here is a site
    http://www.missouriplants.com/Blueopp/Phlox_divaricata_page.html
    I was told they spread fast & can be a pain, but, so far mine haven't. The one lone flower #5, I think, may be catanache, cupid's dart. 6 & 7 might be a hosta, when I first saw it though I thought lily of the valley. #8 might be lunaria.

  • 20 years ago

    Sorry, I see I spelled it wrong, phlox divaricata apparently

  • 20 years ago

    1/2) Arum italicum, as noted before
    3/4) Phlox divaricata, as noted before
    5) Anemone blanda - grows from a little bulb, likes dappled shade and moderate moisture
    6/7) Looks like Lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis), with a few violets and henbit (the pinky-purple flower cluster) mixed in. Convallaria is one of the most poisonous garden plants, BTW.
    8) Does look like Lunaria, common name Honesty. It's a biennial that grows one year, blooms the second year and dies. The flat silvery seed pods are favorites in dried arrangements. Flowers are magenta, sometimes white, in a loose head like garden phlox. Plant will get about 3 ft tall with adequate moisture. Self-sows.
    9) Yes, it's vinca, one of the variegated varieties.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you very much for all the help on these. As far as persuading them not to mow...We have tried, but no go...So far, it hasn't effected them too much. We did persuade them not to mow up to 8 ft from the fence row..this is where most of the bulb plants are. The ones that are sparingly through the yard are mowed down!! I am praying for the rain to hold off long enough for me to "save" these tomorrow after work!! A bit of rain before will be nice so the ground will be softer.

    All of these are pretty much in vast supply, except the anemone and I can do a few swaps if anyone is interested.

    Again, thank you for taking time and helping with these. If anyone knows of any special care that they need, please let me know. I don't want to damage them. I am moving in 2 months and don't think I should put the bulbs in the ground. A gardening friend told me to put them in soil in a large pot and then put them in the ground when I move, so they don't have a chance to get established and then move them again. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks, Lori

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Lori,
    I'm glad you'll get to come to the swap---- you guys will have a really great time.I don't see any takers on your offer so far, but I'd love to trade with you at the swap. If you get to dig up any of the plants you pictured, I would like to trade you for some of the arum italicum and the lily of the valley. Email me with your ideas on plants you're looking for to trade or check out my member page. Congratulations on your new plants.
    Marianne

  • 20 years ago

    Lori--About the arum not blooming, I recall that the first year I transplanted some from my Mother's garden, it didn't bloom either. I notice the catalog link I referenced says it prefers sun/part shade and mine was mostly shaded, so that may have been the problem.

    Jana

  • 20 years ago

    I've seen Arum italicum bloom in pretty deep shade, as long as the soil's decent and there's adequate moisture. It needs to be mature enough, though, like most arums. Jack-in-the-pulpit, for example, needs to be a few years old before it will throw a little flower. After that, assuming cultural conditions are good, the bloom gets bigger every year. And when times are really good, the bloom will be female. Following a lean year the bloom will be male only, or there won't be a bloom at all.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    Not to hijack the thread, but I'm so excited to finally identify arum. I have a LOT of it in my new house's garden. In fact, I've gotten rid of quite a bit.

    I've read about the swap with interest, but have little to contribute other than this stuff and unidentified daylilies. Please let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Lori,
    I hope that you rescued lots of the identified plants. They would all make dandy trades at the plant swap!
    Renee

  • 20 years ago

    Lori,

    I usually just lurk here and read but your post stirred memories. When I saw the Reelfoot Lake, I couldn't help but wonder if this is next to Margaret Newton? I was curious about who willed the house & gardens. I think the Lovell's lived next to the school when I was there. Thanks.

Sponsored